Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
"I declare Martian Law!"
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 Specialized Rockhopper with the stock Manitou Six front fork. I took it apart to adjust the travel to 100 mm, and I found out that almost every part inside is plastic! All that the spring rests on is a little metal washer that is clipped into a plastic rod. Even the pre-load is completely plastic. Is this normal for shocks? I can't imagine the nicer shocks have this cheap plastic setup.

I was considering upgrading my front fork, but I want to do it for under $200. I don't need anything great, I just want something that's well constructed and performs well overall. I was considering the entry level Marzoochi fork (not sure of the model), which got good reviews. Anybody know if these are constructed well? Any recommendations would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Some forks are like that...

plastic is cheaper and lighter I guess.... however that isn't necessarily a bad thing... for example I have heard that most of the internal of the new Rock Shox Reba is made of plastic for weight purposes.....

Regarding the Marzocchi.. I suppose you mean the MX Comp, I have an MX Comp with ETA (a little more expensive, but worth it) and I can't do anything but recommend it. It is a great performing fork, it is a little heavy, but performance-wise it is great, specially for its price.

I hope this helps.

-Cris

Creelove said:
I have a 04 Specialized Rockhopper with the stock Manitou Six front fork. I took it apart to adjust the travel to 100 mm, and I found out that almost every part inside is plastic! All that the spring rests on is a little metal washer that is clipped into a plastic rod. Even the pre-load is completely plastic. Is this normal for shocks? I can't imagine the nicer shocks have this cheap plastic setup.

I was considering upgrading my front fork, but I want to do it for under $200. I don't need anything great, I just want something that's well constructed and performs well overall. I was considering the entry level Marzoochi fork (not sure of the model), which got good reviews. Anybody know if these are constructed well? Any recommendations would be nice.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Creelove said:

There are some ~$200 deals on Skarab Elite and '03 Black Elite, that have much better damping than the low end Bombers. Sometimes plastic parts can be a problem, but the Mani-tous work very well for the price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.