Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out what kind of tire I should be running for aggressive XC. I am very concerned about grip while climbing rock faces. So far I have tried:

Maxxis Hansventure ST 42a Outer /50a Inner 2.35 tires.
Which I loved despite the fact they were heavy.

Nokian NBX 2.3 tires which are much lighter, but I got two pinch flats running at 35psi and 45psi. I also found these tires to flail around on the loose downhill sections.

I am considering buying another pair of the Maxxis hansventure or Mobster tires, but I am torn on what durometer to get. I have searched all these boards, and some posts say that a durometer of 60 will give me better rock climbing grip and some have said the same thing about the durometer of 42.

Any insights on durometer guys?

-Mike

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
skibud2 said:
Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out what kind of tire I should be running for aggressive XC. I am very concerned about grip while climbing rock faces. So far I have tried:

Maxxis Hansventure ST 42a Outer /50a Inner 2.35 tires.
Which I loved despite the fact they were heavy.

Nokian NBX 2.3 tires which are much lighter, but I got two pinch flats running at 35psi and 45psi. I also found these tires to flail around on the loose downhill sections.

I am considering buying another pair of the Maxxis hansventure or Mobster tires, but I am torn on what durometer to get. I have searched all these boards, and some posts say that a durometer of 60 will give me better rock climbing grip and some have said the same thing about the durometer of 42.

Any insights on durometer guys?

-Mike
Durometer is only a measure of hardness and softer is not necessarily grippier. Rubber compounds vary in composition and even tires with the same durometer rating can have different grip and wear properties. Tread pattern, casing construction and air pressure also affect grip.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Damping

shiggy©®™ said:
Durometer is only a measure of hardness and softer is not necessarily grippier. Rubber compounds vary in composition and even tires with the same durometer rating can have different grip and wear properties. Tread pattern, casing construction and air pressure also affect grip.
Don't forget the internal damping of the rubber. It doesn't help with soft rubber if it vibrates like jello. Soft rubber with high inherent damping, like the rubbers from Intense Tires (the originator of sticky rubbers for bikes), allow the knobs to lie dead on the ground for the short time they roll under you. Even the harder C3 compound tires have excellent grip on wet roots and rocks.

Ole

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.