Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are you still able to make multiple shifts with one stroke? with the rapid fires, you could shift 2-3 gears instantly depending how much you pressed the triggers. is the same thing possible with the new dual controls?

·
Old Enough to Know Better
158 Posts
TrekFan said:
are you still able to make multiple shifts with one stroke? with the rapid fires, you could shift 2-3 gears instantly depending how much you pressed the triggers. is the same thing possible with the new dual controls?
Yes, but in the "faster" direction.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Only in the direction ...

Grampa said:
Yes, but in the "faster" direction.
Only in the direction you're less likely to need. Like say, when you're going up a hill.

However, when you get to the bottom of a hill and you're going 30MPH, Rapid Rise will easily allow you to select a cog 3 down so you're not forced to coast too long. And we all know how timing sensitive coasting is vs climing hills.

BTW, Gripshifts will let you shift as many gears as you like in EITHER direction.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
TrekFan said:
Yes they do. Its the same indexing mechanism as rapid fire shifters. Push the brake lever blade down and you get three shifts just like the rapid fire lever. Push it up or click the thumb button and it release one at a time. The direction it releases is dependant on the derrailleur system used.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
BTW, Gripshifts will let you shift as many gears as you like in EITHER direction.
That's awesome, I hope that comes in handy sometime when you are climbing. I often wonder when I am going up a steep hill in 1 2 what it would be like to go up it in 1 9. :D

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
He .. he ...

Jm. said:
That's awesome, I hope that comes in handy sometime when you are climbing. I often wonder when I am going up a steep hill in 1 2 what it would be like to go up it in 1 9. :D
That was pretty funny. But where dropping the cassette comes in handy is peaking a large hill then transition into a short hill followed by another big uphill. You need to drop the cassette to pick up speed than quickly grab up those bigger gears again.

I went BACK to grippies specifically for this reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.