Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
i recently put a new crank on. i ordered some new crank bolts(m15)

i rode today for an hour or so, mostly trails, some jumps, but nothing real bad, now my crank arms are loose. i had this problem with the orginal crank and ended up stripping the left crank bolt. i would like to prevent that this go around.

is there something i am missing about installing a new crank and crank bolts?

oh yea i also replaced the bottom bracket.

any ideas?

thanks

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It ought to be around 35 ft-lbs, but double check on their website and then properly tighten them. There is little chance of damaging the crank arm by slightly overtightening the crank arm. Some say you'll round the head of the bolt before damaging the interface. But you can certainly do damage by pedaling on loose cranks, especially a square taper setup. Proper torque should eliminate your troubles.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Loosening

I had this problem years ago using a square taper Ti BB with a Ti bolt w/built-in washer shoulder. Damm thing would stay tight with a steel bolt w/separate washer but not with my fancy ti bolt. A weight weinie took over and did the no-no of locktiting the Ti bolt on. They did not fuse together after 6 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.