Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No really, I am that slow
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished building a new Inbred. The bugger has the advertised feature of "adjustable chainstay length". I can see you need to adjust the sliders a little to accomodate chain slack, but why would you deliberately set the chainstay length longer than necessary? What's the benefit? Doesn't it just make the bike climb suckier?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
woe said:
Just finished building a new Inbred. The bugger has the advertised feature of "adjustable chainstay length". I can see you need to adjust the sliders a little to accomodate chain slack, but why would you deliberately set the chainstay length longer than necessary? What's the benefit? Doesn't it just make the bike climb suckier?
Not necessarily. In many cases the affect CS length on climbing ability is overstated.

Longer stays can increase the stability when descending.

You now have the chance to test this for yourself, though some gear combos may be possible with just one dropout position.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
woe said:
...but why would you deliberately set the chainstay length longer than necessary?
It so you can set it as short as possible, with the size tire you want. With a big volume tire, you sometime have to slide the wheel back a bit for mud clearance. But, as Shiggy says....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.