Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently snapped a hydraulic brake line out on the trail, and am considering going to mechanical disc brakes to eliminate this sort of hassel. I currently have Magura Claras on the bike, and while I know they have received bad reviews, they've been OK. I am considering putting on a used set of Avid BB7s. Does this change make sense? I don't have a ton of money right now, so high end hydraulics are probably out of the question. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Good point! I ride mostly XC right now. I'm not too interested in pure downhill, but ride some trails with some pretty long, technical downhills. I'd probably characterize myself as an intermediate rider - always trying to get better!

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Well, getting expensive high end hydraulic brakes wont prevent line snapping off... If you are happy with your current setup, I would just replace that line and rebleed the brake obviously, wont cost too much. It's not something that happens often anyway, chances are it's the last time you will ever experience this problem, unless your lines are seriously badly routed.

While the BB7 are good brakes, I much prefer hydraulics. BB7 are feeling too ON/OFF for me. They are powerful enough but lack the control and modulation (much more important to me than raw power) of most hydraulic brake systems. I'd stick with your setup.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan, thanks for the info and advice! I am a bit worried about losing modulation with the avids - the brakes feel so much better than the V-brakes I had before. However, I haven't been thrilled with the Claras. There is a lot of play in the lever and I have to pull the lever almost to the bar to get the rear wheel to lock up - I've brought it to what I consider the best shop in town a couple times, and while they have improved things, its still not as good as I expected from hydraulic discs. If I had a bit more cash, I would go for some better hydraulic brakes, but I was just offered a set of BB7s with levers, installed, for 100 bucks. I'm just looking opinions - what would you do here? Thanks.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Tanner
I've used Hayes hydraulic brakes, Avid Juicy 7's and and Avid BB7 mechanicals and out of all of them I like the BB7's the most. They have allmost as much stopping power as the hydraulics and are much easier to maintain and adjust. Use with a good set of brake levers and cables.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.