Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Nino,

I recall some months back you mentioned you were going to give the Extralite brake levers a try. I think you gave the thumbs down on some ultralight levers from some German company (maybe Schmolke or Heylight, I forget)for their excessive flex. I've you've tried the Extralights, have you had better luck?

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Patchito said:
Hey Nino,

I recall some months back you mentioned you were going to give the Extralite brake levers a try. I think you gave the thumbs down on some ultralight levers from some German company (maybe Schmolke or Heylight, I forget)for their excessive flex. I've you've tried the Extralights, have you had better luck?
I think you mean steinbach not schmolke. Sorry to nitpick, I cant help ;) .

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max said:
yeah, Steinbach. they are Austrian BTW ;) go see www.steinbach-bike.com for more info (language is german, ask if you dont understand certain things).

"zubehoer" means "components".
Yes, Steinbach..thanks. Regardless, I took them off my list for consideration based on Nino's evaluation of their stopping power. Currently I'm using Precision Proshift levers, which do the job pretty well. Just wondered if any levers would be an improvement in terms of weight without being a performance minus.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was the one who started the thread about Steinbachs that you are talking about.

I was aware of Nino's impressions of these levers before I got them and they went into consideration of my decision however in my research I found enough examples of people who actually use them who liked them so I went ahead and got them anyway. When Nino described them as 'cutout pieces of sheetmetal' I was fully expecting them to be just that, as after all how else can they be so light?

Having received the levers however I am really glad I did get them. First, I don't know how they can be described as made of sheetmetal as these levers are just as chunky as any other lever I have seen - thay are so light however because the design is absolutely minimalist. There is no return spring, no redundant adjustments, no smooth looking build transition from lever to body. There is no 'cover' which hides cable ferrule from view, the clamp bolt doubles up as pivot for the lever and there is no 'mushroom' shaped lever cross section for comfort but a plastic cover. There's absolutely no attempt to make them look appealing (which makes them appealing in my eyes).

When I got them I was in awe of just how much chunkier they look than what I expected yet they indeed they came in at 66.8 g, spot on the 67 g claimed weight. In addition to that I got to add that the quality of manufacturing is nothing but top notch CNC work. The inside clamp edges are dead smooth, anodising perfect and overall quality feel is better than any levers I had.

I haven't ridden them yet, admittedly, but after having seen them the issue of whether or not I'll like the levers braking is simply no longer existent in my head and I'm just looking forward to finishing and enjoying the bike. This in addition to the fact that most who have tried them liked them (Nino only tried them on showroom floor to my understanding) makes me believe that their flexy reputation comes purely from extreme minimalist image and 'stupid light = flexy' reasoning.

I'll put up some images of them tomorrow and try to put some pictures to the words.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Patchito said:
Yes, Steinbach..thanks. Regardless, I took them off my list for consideration based on Nino's evaluation of their stopping power. Currently I'm using Precision Proshift levers, which do the job pretty well. Just wondered if any levers would be an improvement in terms of weight without being a performance minus.
Aren't the Precision Proshifts pretty light, like 120 grams or something?

·
Chatham NJ
477 Posts
Boj said:
I was the one who started the thread about Steinbachs that you are talking about.

I was aware of Nino's impressions of these levers before I got them and they went into consideration of my decision however in my research I found enough examples of people who actually use them who liked them so I went ahead and got them anyway. When Nino described them as 'cutout pieces of sheetmetal' I was fully expecting them to be just that, as after all how else can they be so light?

Having received the levers however I am really glad I did get them. First, I don't know how they can be described as made of sheetmetal as these levers are just as chunky as any other lever I have seen - thay are so light however because the design is absolutely minimalist. There is no return spring, no redundant adjustments, no smooth looking build transition from lever to body. There is no 'cover' which hides cable ferrule from view, the clamp bolt doubles up as pivot for the lever and there is no 'mushroom' shaped lever cross section for comfort but a plastic cover. There's absolutely no attempt to make them look appealing (which makes them appealing in my eyes).

When I got them I was in awe of just how much chunkier they look than what I expected yet they indeed they came in at 66.8 g, spot on the 67 g claimed weight. In addition to that I got to add that the quality of manufacturing is nothing but top notch CNC work. The inside clamp edges are dead smooth, anodising perfect and overall quality feel is better than any levers I had.

I haven't ridden them yet, admittedly, but after having seen them the issue of whether or not I'll like the levers braking is simply no longer existent in my head and I'm just looking forward to finishing and enjoying the bike. This in addition to the fact that most who have tried them liked them (Nino only tried them on showroom floor to my understanding) makes me believe that their flexy reputation comes purely from extreme minimalist image and 'stupid light = flexy' reasoning.

I'll put up some images of them tomorrow and try to put some pictures to the words.
do you have any pics of those brake levers?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tektro carbon levers and Tekro Sensir levers

I've only seen them on line, listing at 160g. Not super light, but they sure would look neat on carbon bars. Anyone actually own any? Does anyone have any experience, or the weight of the Tekro Sensir levers?

xsport652 said:
does anyone know anything about the tektro eclipse levers with the carbon lever?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.