Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a brake adapter used to fit a 203mm rotor with a fork with 160 post mounts also be used to fit a 223mm rotor to a fork that has 180 post mounts?

I'm thinking it can, but wasn't sure if there are differences in the angle of the caliper required for different rotor sizes.

Also, I thought I would put this here since the brake time section doesn't seem to have a lot of eyes on it. If the mods require it to go in the brake time forum, feel free to move it. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tried already, none exist. IS or Post. Waiting for NSB to make one.
I may, and I mean may, recall some Taiwan company, but they would not ship to canada.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I ask this question is because I recently order a galfer 180pm - 223mm +43mm adapter. It says on the package it fits both 160-203 and 180-223 combinations. However, it doesn’t look any longer than the 180-203 adapter currently bolted up to the fork on my bike. What am I missing here?

608317CC-9619-4345-866D-E68BCE3B8290.jpeg

3661B867-15EC-4256-BA7C-64CF7ED522F9.jpeg

·
Registered
41 Posts
According to the chart, that is the exact one you need that you have, SB001.
Keep in mind I think the length is the same, but the height of the two towers, or posts are taller? Check the post length to your existing adapter now in the fork.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, just checked the manual on the fork and it’s a 180mm post mount. Unfortunately, that galfer adapter wouldn’t work with the Hayes dominion caliper, so I’m going to have to send it back. I did order a Hayes +43mm adapter that should work with the Hayes caliper. However, the product description for the Hayes adapter says it’s “typically” used for 203mm rotors. I’m wondering if it’s going to work with this new 223mm rotor I bought to try out or not.

FWIW, Hayes specifies this adapter for a 160 post mount - 203mm rotor, but I’m guessing they aren’t saying it’ll work with a 223mm rotor from a 180 post mount only because they don’t offer a 223mm rotor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think it will work. I ended up with magura 220 rotor PM front and 220 rotor IS rear. Those adapters were not available anywhere. Not manufactured yet although NSB has them in the works. I ended up double stacking adapters and lots of file work to make it happen. Has worked fine but was a pain in the you know where.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We'll see what happens when the new Hayes adapter comes in, but as of right now I'm not thinking it's going to work unless the posts on the Hayes adapter are a bit longer than what came on this galfer adapter.

·
Big M, Little organ.
250 Posts
There seems to be some misunderstandings in the thread.
For standard 74mm post mount (not IS or flat mount), a +43mm adapter will allow 223mm rotors to work on a 180mm fork/frame. The adapter moves the caliper out from the center of the axle 21.5mm...nothing more. They may change the angle in relation to the post but not the rotor. Stacking adapters probably works as well but obviously not ideal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts