Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming through Montana and Wyoming later this summer and will be doing some riding around Missoula, Bozeman, and Jackson for the first time. I have heard that some of those areas are popular areas for grizzley bears. Do you guys take any precautions for bears when you go riding in those areas? Bells on your bike, bear spray, just making a crap load of noise? It is just going to be my wife and I riding and I don't want to end up bear food.

Thanks.

·
HotHB
403 Posts
Yes, there are bears around here.

I always have bear spray with me, and if alone try to make noise to ensure I don't startle one.

Also watch out for Moose, I have run into Moose more often then Bears it seems. A cow protecting a calf can be very unpredictable and dangerous.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will save the kick em in the jimmy suggestion for a last resort, and the poo I will be throwing will probably be my own if I see a bear up close.

I guess I will get some bear spray to carry just in case and make a lot of noise, probably mostly huffing and puffing.

Do you think most of the trails around Butte and Bozeman will be rideable in mid-July this year? I was looking to do the Bangtail trail and Emerald Lake near Bozeman and maybe Curly Lake or Beaver Ponds/ Toll Canyon near Butte.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.