Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Giant XTC AC AIR LITE and I recently trashed my stock XTR rear Derailleur. Bike shop called and said i needed a new one. Jenson sells the SHIMANO XTR M952 REAR DERAILLEUR for $89 and the XT M750 goes for $49.00

Should I replace the rear Derailleur with another stock XTR or is the XT good enough? Will I even see a difference with the XT vs the XTR?

Thanks.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Dean said:
I have a 2002 Giant XTC AC AIR LITE and I recently trashed my stock XTR rear Derailleur. Bike shop called and said i needed a new one. Jenson sells the SHIMANO XTR M952 REAR DERAILLEUR for $89 and the XT M750 goes for $49.00

Should I replace the rear Derailleur with another stock XTR or is the XT good enough? Will I even see a difference with the XT vs the XTR?

Thanks.
Go with the XT in my opinion. You will not notice any difference in shifting performance. The XTR is about 30-35 grams lighter, if that makes a difference to you, but performance should be the same. Jenson will price match if you find it cheaper.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dean said:

Thanks.
Spend the extra cash and get the XTR 953 rapid rise reverse shifting deraileur. I upgraded from XT to the 953, the difference in downshifting under load is HUGE! No more downshifting ahead of time on rolling terrain to get the right gear. The shift pattern is reversed, takes a ride or two to get used to, but I think it's actually more intuitive as both deraileurs shift the same way. I upgraded based on the reviews here and wasn't disappointed.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Well first of all I would buy it from the shop your bike is at...

Dean said:

Thanks.
If you took your bike in to a shop to have it looked at you should really purchase the derailleur from them. True it will be more expensive but most bike shops struggle to make it so its worth it to support them.

That said I would suggest an Ultegra rear derailleur. Its lighter and cheaper than XT and performance would be at least as good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shayne said:
If you took your bike in to a shop to have it looked at you should really purchase the derailleur from them. True it will be more expensive but most bike shops struggle to make it so its worth it to support them.

That said I would suggest an Ultegra rear derailleur. Its lighter and cheaper than XT and performance would be at least as good.
Hmm bike shop wants $140 + tax for the XTR rear derailleur vs $89 + free ship at Jenson. No way. If they were mabe $100 then yes. But not $140

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweetdaddy said:
Spend the extra cash and get the XTR 953 rapid rise reverse shifting deraileur. I upgraded from XT to the 953, the difference in downshifting under load is HUGE! No more downshifting ahead of time on rolling terrain to get the right gear. The shift pattern is reversed, takes a ride or two to get used to, but I think it's actually more intuitive as both deraileurs shift the same way. I upgraded based on the reviews here and wasn't disappointed.
I dont know much about the 953 and what the rapid rise reverse shifting is? I was doing some searched on XTR rear deraileurs and people who mentioned the newer stlye deraileurs didnt seem to like em. But I think that was the 960 model. Jenson only caries the 952 XTR and not the 953.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dean said:
I dont know much about the 953 and what the rapid rise reverse shifting is? I was doing some searched on XTR rear deraileurs and people who mentioned the newer stlye deraileurs didnt seem to like em. But I think that was the 960 model. Jenson only caries the 952 XTR and not the 953.
The Rapidrise deraileur is sprung in the opposite direction of normal deraileurs, meaning that the spring's natural inclination is to move the deraileur to the LOWEST gear instead of the highest. This means you dont have to work against the spring when downshifting while going up a hill. The reverse shift pattern means the trigger finger shifter on a rapidfire shifter does downshifting and the thumb paddle does the upshifting - opposite of traditional deraileur shift patterns, but the same way the front deraileur works. Attached is a link to the reviews here, very good reviews 4.5 of 5 out of a statistically significant 253 reviews, also earning MTBR editors choice for rear deraileurs. Pricepoint.com sells 'em for about $100.00. Best upgrade on my bike, been running it trouble free for 2yrs.

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Derailleur/product_20851.shtml

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sweetdaddy said:
The Rapidrise deraileur is sprung in the opposite direction of normal deraileurs, meaning that the spring's natural inclination is to move the deraileur to the LOWEST gear instead of the highest. This means you dont have to work against the spring when downshifting while going up a hill. The reverse shift pattern means the trigger finger shifter on a rapidfire shifter does downshifting and the thumb paddle does the upshifting - opposite of traditional deraileur shift patterns, but the same way the front deraileur works. Attached is a link to the reviews here, very good reviews 4.5 of 5 out of a statistically significant 253 reviews, also earning MTBR editors choice for rear deraileurs. Pricepoint.com sells 'em for about $100.00. Best upgrade on my bike, been running it trouble free for 2yrs.

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Derailleur/product_20851.shtml
I will check out the reviews thanks. One more dumb question. With this new derailleur I'm not going to have to upgrade anything else on my bike to make this work right? It should work with my coexisting equipment I assume.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dean said:
I will check out the reviews thanks. One more dumb question. With this new derailleur I'm not going to have to upgrade anything else on my bike to make this work right? It should work with my coexisting equipment I assume.
Yeah, it'll work with your shimano shifters that ran your old xtr der, be they lx,xt or xtr.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Well, look at it this way...

if you bash derailleurs on occasion, as I do, then economical and functional works great. I've had both xt and xtr derailleurs and can't tell the difference so I buy xt. I've paid 90 bucks for an xt in an emergency from an LBS (I tried a Deore once and thought it was a tad sloppy); I try to keep a spare on hand now sourced either from a reasonable shop or hit the internet. I've not tried rapid rise as that would mean changing several bikes and I see no reason to teach this old dog that new trick. I don't know that an Ultegra derailleur would work for you; don't think they can handle the range on the cassettes most of us use (is there a long cage Ultegra? don't think I've seen one).

·
Registered
110 Posts
if you are a fit rider, I'd recommend an Ultegra or Dura Ace rear mech and cassette.

My DA mech is 165g (SRP bolt kit added) , 90g lighter than XT.

I also run an 11-23 DA cassette and a shorter 100 link chain.

Off-road, I've had no problems with the "road" set-up. Next time my chain needs changing, I'll be swoping my DA/XTR chain for a SRAM PC-89-R hollowpin road chain.

I find I can climb any hill in middle ring and the 23T ring on my cassette. Only need the granny for extended climbs.

Try it?

·
Unshaven Yak
503 Posts
My policy, is to save the dough when it's a huge difference like that & I can install the part myself. If I need a shop to install something, I'll buy it directly from them, even with the added expense. No need to slap them in the face by coming in with a mailorder part & asking them to install it for you.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Well yeah, I agree with that....

Stinky Wiz said:
My policy, is to save the dough when it's a huge difference like that & I can install the part myself. If I need a shop to install something, I'll buy it directly from them, even with the added expense. No need to slap them in the face by coming in with a mailorder part & asking them to install it for you.
...but If you bring something to a shop to have them diagnose it its kind of a slap in the face to say: yeah my derailleur is broken, thanks, I'll take care of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shayne said:
...but If you bring something to a shop to have them diagnose it its kind of a slap in the face to say: yeah my derailleur is broken, thanks, I'll take care of it.
I see what you are saying but Im going to let them install it as well so. I also trashed my derailleur hanger as well and I bought that from the local bike shop. That was only $15 or $20. At least they are still making the labor charges off of me.

I'm still up in the air with an XT or XTR. I had this bike for almost 2 yrs and been riding a mtn bike since 98'. This is the first time in 6yrs I ever broke/bent a derailleur hanger or derailleur. I guess I'll replace it with what I originally had.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My vote is for XT

Personally I'd go with the XT. I take it you're not a xc racer where a few grams weight savings is that important, other than that XT rear der's work fine. I've had xtr in the past, and obviously they were great, but similar to your situation, I'll end up trashing it before I wear it out.

·
X-Ray Guy
363 Posts
If u really would want an XTR derailleur than check out ebay....probly cut a good $20 or more if ur patient or possibly get an XT even cheaper and theres alot of new ones sitting around there. Just thought id throw u another option.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Dean said:

Thanks.
I used to run xtr all the time and then trashed a rear D. Went XT and haven't noticed a difference, and it's nice knowing I can wreck one and not lose almost twice as much $$$.
Many mailorder sites are having sales on the 750 (last year's normal shift) and the 760 (like the aforementioned 953) with its reverse shifting (which is slowly becoming the "normal" and "better" way).

Don't forget, Performance has 20% off coupons! Find those in the Hot Deals section.

On a side note, I ordered the new SRAM X.9 rear derailleur and X.9 trigger shifters from Performance, and had them price match JensonUSA. They won't honor a price match AND a coupon (used to until they caught on), but Jenson has the rear D and shifters for $115 before shipping. And for August 7 and 8, Performance has 20% back if you are a team Performance member (normally 10% back), but that cost $20 to join, and some say the benefits aren't worth it if you rarely buy mailorder, but since I do a lot, it was worth it for me to price match and get my 20% back in points (plus I used $16 in cash back points I had waiting). Anyway, back to your original message...

I'd go XT whether 750 or 760 over XTR whether normal or reverse. You'd be in it maybe $50 delivered with the coupon if you go XT.

If you need new shifters, I'd go SRAM x.9 and their x.9 shifters for about $124 delivered from Jenson. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
danK said:
Many mailorder sites are having sales on the 750 (last year's normal shift) and the 760 (like the aforementioned 953) with its reverse shifting (which is slowly becoming the "normal" and "better" way).

So when you say that reverse shifting or "low normal" rear deraileurs are slowly becoming the normal and better way, is SRAM offering this on any of their rear der lines too?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
sweetdaddy said:
danK said:

So when you say that reverse shifting or "low normal" rear deraileurs are slowly becoming the normal and better way, is SRAM offering this on any of their rear der lines too?
I do not believe SRAM is going away from the traditional rear derailleur. I want to say it's cuz their 1:1 actuation ratio negates the reasons for Shimano's low normal technology, but I think it's more dependent on spring rate/force of moving the chain in the "opposite" direction of the parallelogram, and not cable pull... Uh oh, headache.

·
simply me
132 Posts
Get the XTR

XTR rear derailleurs have adjustable spring tension. There is a screw in the parallelogram that allows you to increase the spring tension making for much snappier shifting. If you don't know/aren't going to use the the screw, then yes you may as well get XT. But the increase in spring tension and lighter weight makes XTR the better pick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.