Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an ipod touch for christmas and already downloaded a cool app. that has a massive data base of trails, i also found one for 3.99 that is basically a gps that tracks your travels along the trail, however i would asume that your ipod touch has to be on the whole time so it can successfully track you, what if i go on a 5 hour epic ride, i don't know if my battery will last that long. Does anyone have this app., or any tips on other similar apps or should i just buy a real gps.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,373 Posts
ajd245246 said:
I recently got an ipod touch for christmas and already downloaded a cool app. that has a massive data base of trails, i also found one for 3.99 that is basically a gps that tracks your travels along the trail, however i would asume that your ipod touch has to be on the whole time so it can successfully track you, what if i go on a 5 hour epic ride, i don't know if my battery will last that long. Does anyone have this app., or any tips on other similar apps or should i just buy a real gps.
the touch has no GPS. You can buy a tomtom dock that turns it into a car GPS, but the touch can only estimate your location if you are within range of known wifi hotspots. my home wifi hotspot does not work for this.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NateHawk said:
the touch has no GPS. You can buy a tomtom dock that turns it into a car GPS, but the touch can only estimate your location if you are within range of known wifi hotspots. my home wifi hotspot does not work for this.
So this probably won't work back in the woods in the middle of no where

·
since 4/10/2009
34,373 Posts
ajd245246 said:
So this probably won't work back in the woods in the middle of no where
um, no. I'd never take mine backpacking, anyway. too expensive, and putting it in an otter box to protect it would make it too heavy to BP with. I use a standalone GPS, and a little AAA-powered Sandisk mp3 player for bedtime music (on nights with no bugs/frogs, I have a hard time sleeping because of the noises in the brush).

I have the Kindle app and a podcast or two I subscribe to, but those are more for travelling. I'm not too chapped about the thing not having a real GPS because I can figure out where I am in a city on my own, but having access to tons of maps is a big deal (I can't remember how many times I've stopped at a gas station to buy paper maps of a city).

The only reason I'd take my touch into the woods is if I had it in an otter box and I was using it for geocache information (paperless caching). most of that sort of thing is city park or otherwise not very far from the car, so the weight of the touch in an otterbox isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NateHawk said:
um, no. I'd never take mine backpacking, anyway. too expensive, and putting it in an otter box to protect it would make it too heavy to BP with. I use a standalone GPS, and a little AAA-powered Sandisk mp3 player for bedtime music (on nights with no bugs/frogs, I have a hard time sleeping because of the noises in the brush).

I have the Kindle app and a podcast or two I subscribe to, but those are more for travelling. I'm not too chapped about the thing not having a real GPS because I can figure out where I am in a city on my own, but having access to tons of maps is a big deal (I can't remember how many times I've stopped at a gas station to buy paper maps of a city).

The only reason I'd take my touch into the woods is if I had it in an otter box and I was using it for geocache information (paperless caching). most of that sort of thing is city park or otherwise not very far from the car, so the weight of the touch in an otterbox isn't a big deal.
Ah i see, thanks for the insight, yea with the riding i do crashes don't happen to often, but when they do i could see an itouch in my pocket or backpack taking some damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.