·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the days getting shorter, I'm starting to think of getting a new set
of lights for night riding. I'm currently using an old Niterider 15w bar
mounted light, which I don't find is quite bright enough in technical
situations, at least for my eyes. The only other system I've used is a
Niterider Classic, which has 12-20-32w settings, which worked good for me.

So anyways, I'm thinking of spending $200-300 on a new system, possibly a
helmet mount, but there seems to be lots of choices to confuse me.
Currently, many places are selling some of the Niterider HID's (such as the
Storm) for around $270. Seems like a very good deal, but then again, I see lots of
comments about these NR HID lights on MTBR that make me think twice
(switches that work inconsitanly, heavy light for the helmet mount, etc).
For around the same money, there are some other brands I have no experience
with that are pretty highly rated, such as JET and TurboCat, but these are
not HID systems. Anyone have experience with these brands? What would you chose?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
If you want to stay around $200, the 20W Jet Phantom is a very good light. It's about 3 times brighter than a 15W NiteRider and plenty bright for technical riding. This is all I use except in races where I use a bar light for backup. If you want to spend a bit more, the Lume seems to be really nice for a budget HID. It's about $230 with the overnight trickle charger and about $280 with the fast smart charger (highly recommended) if you use the MTBR coupon.

http://www.lumelighting.com/mtbr.asp

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Light & Motion HID!

Check out the Light & Motion HIDs at:

www.bikelights.com

I personally think that they are the best. They come with both a bar mounting bracket and helmet mount. The battery is small and light and can be mounted on the frame (not in a bottle holder) or thrown into a back pack. I've had mine for about three years and its great not a day's problem.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have the niterider digital evolution. its a great light.

I think that niterider or BLT are good because at most 24 hr races i've been to they have charging stations set up. There is no charging stations set up for the other brands of lights, so you will have to bring an inverter for your car or something.

I've never dealt with niteriders customer service but i hear its pretty bad...my friend had to return a light 4 times.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm...well, the above article mostly covered high-end HID's so it didn't help much. The specific thing that brought this about is that Wheel World is selling the Nite Rider Storm for $270... http://wheelworld.com/site/showitem.cfm?page=63&searchtype=custom&Catalog=39&sort=price

It seems like a great deal for an HID, so I keep coming back to that. Beyond the super brightness, I like the fact that the batteries with the HID's last so long, but I'm not sure if it's worth the other tradeoffs.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
go Niterider Blowtorch

Warthog said:
Hmm...well, the above article mostly covered high-end HID's so it didn't help much. The specific thing that brought this about is that Wheel World is selling the Nite Rider Storm for $270... http://wheelworld.com/site/showitem.cfm?page=63&searchtype=custom&Catalog=39&sort=price

It seems like a great deal for an HID, so I keep coming back to that. Beyond the super brightness, I like the fact that the batteries with the HID's last so long, but I'm not sure if it's worth the other tradeoffs.
you can get it for around the same price from JensonUSA. It is absolutely amazing. you almost dont need helmet mounted light with this one, it is so bright...

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
same thing just bar mounted...

Warthog said:
Blowtorch is the same light as the Storm, just bar mounted, isn't it?
AFAIC, handlebar mount light should be your main light, helmet one helps, but doesnt have to be a HID...

I use Blowtorch and Lume LIghting HID for my helmet light... It's been great so far, but Blowtorch gives me more light just where I need it...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the storm HID. it's been solid as a rock for a year now. I use a trail rat on my helmet.

Maybe get a HID for the bar and move the 15 watt to your helmet?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cajonezzz said:
I have the storm HID. it's been solid as a rock for a year now. I use a trail rat on my helmet.

Maybe get a HID for the bar and move the 15 watt to your helmet?
Yeah, this is what I ended up doing. Got the Blowtorch, and maybe I'll try a helmet mount for my 15W. I just did a nite ride with the HID tonight. Wow, its bright! In addition to allowing me to see further down the trail, it also seems to a wider pattern then my 15W, so that's good. I used it on a trail that I've never done a night ride on before, so I'll be looking forward to riding trails I'm more familiar with at night to get a good comparison.

I mentioned that I was a bit concerned about the NR HID's because of the complaints I saw about the switch on these lights in the reviews area. Before I bought the light, I took a look at the online manual, though, and I think I might have found a source of the problem which alleviated my fears. The operation of the switch is simple once you know it, but it isn't all that intuitive if you don't read the manual. It may be that it appears to be functioning inconsistantly, when it really isn't. When all else fails, RTFM :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts