Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kind of 'getting played' by Fox over a fork... I don't want to bad mouth them, but, essentially I had bought a used Fox Van rl about 1.5 years ago, rode it for like 3 months, it was creaking when I got it and after 3 months it was REALLY screeching, my LBS suggested I send it in as the lowers were starting to get sloppy, as well, and they were concerned for my safety as they thought the crown was seperating from the steer tube...

So, I did... Fox graciously warrantied the crown and steer tube ( that was the screeching/creaking sound), and I payed for new lowers as you have to get new lowers to replace the bushings, and they were in fact loose ... cost me about 250 ( I paid 350 for the fork)... sounded fair to me as 550-600 was the retail roughly for a new fork, and that's what I essentially had than, so...

1 year later, the screeching and creaking was back big time, and I used the fork only to commute, really. My wife rode it XC, I did a few XC rides on it, but no hucking, no real jumping, maybe a few fast rocky descents by me, definantly not the wife...

so I send her back in after a few months procrastination and just riding it to work and back...

So, they called yesterday and they offer to sell me a new fork at crash replacement, which I feel is a good deal, but not to replcace a problem that was ALREADY warrantied once... I told them I'd have to talk to the wife, as it is really her fork now...

after talking with her, I realized with my sponsorship I can get a much better fork for the price they wanted for 'crash replacement', but I thought , meh let's see if they'll bro me down and warranty the crown / steerer like they did before...
so they called me back and pull their original offer and say they will fix the old fork for that same price...but NOT offer the new fork to me at that price...

I said I wasn't real happy with that.

They said they would send it back unrepaired than...and dude kinda hung up on me.

:(

That kind of bothers me... not real safe IMHO to send someone back a fork they KNOW IS IN BAD SHAPE.

They lost me as a customer over this... makes me sad as I sit here, I'm wearing a Fox Jersey/ shorts... feels weird.

...ahhh well.

I feel kind of bad and was wondering what I did wrong here... I did get a little short with the guy and interupted him, but I aplogized for it...
honestly, we did not beat on that fork. And the issue it was sent in for was fixed free a year ago, why would it cost me money to fix the same issue?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
pdirt said:
I am kind of 'getting played' by Fox over a fork... I don't want to bad mouth them, but, essentially I had bought a used Fox Van rl about 1.5 years ago, rode it for like 3 months, it was creaking when I got it and after 3 months it was REALLY screeching, my LBS suggested I send it in as the lowers were starting to get sloppy, as well, and they were concerned for my safety as they thought the crown was seperating from the steer tube...

So, I did... Fox graciously warrantied the crown and steer tube ( that was the screeching/creaking sound), and I payed for new lowers as you have to get new lowers to replace the bushings, and they were in fact loose ... cost me about 250 ( I paid 350 for the fork)... sounded fair to me as 550-600 was the retail roughly for a new fork, and that's what I essentially had than, so...

1 year later, the screeching and creaking was back big time, and I used the fork only to commute, really. My wife rode it XC, I did a few XC rides on it, but no hucking, no real jumping, maybe a few fast rocky descents by me, definantly not the wife...

so I send her back in after a few months procrastination and just riding it to work and back...

So, they called yesterday and they offer to sell me a new fork at crash replacement, which I feel is a good deal, but not to replcace a problem that was ALREADY warrantied once... I told them I'd have to talk to the wife, as it is really her fork now...

after talking with her, I realized with my sponsorship I can get a much better fork for the price they wanted for 'crash replacement', but I thought , meh let's see if they'll bro me down and warranty the crown / steerer like they did before...
so they called me back and pull their original offer and say they will fix the old fork for that same price...but NOT offer the new fork to me at that price...

I said I wasn't real happy with that.

They said they would send it back unrepaired than...and dude kinda hung up on me.

:(

That kind of bothers me... not real safe IMHO to send someone back a fork they KNOW IS IN BAD SHAPE.

They lost me as a customer over this... makes me sad as I sit here, I'm wearing a Fox Jersey/ shorts... feels weird.

...ahhh well.

I feel kind of bad and was wondering what I did wrong here... I did get a little short with the guy and interupted him, but I aplogized for it...
honestly, we did not beat on that fork. And the issue it was sent in for was fixed free a year ago, why would it cost me money to fix the same issue?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
that sucks dude. i hate it when things like this happen. i mean for the price you pay for a fox fork you should expect good customer service behind it. :mad:
atleast you can know that the clothing you are wearing is not made by them, fox shox and fox racing are 2 differnt companies.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
konabiker said:
that sucks dude. i hate it when things like this happen. i mean for the price you pay for a fox fork you should expect good customer service behind it. :mad:
atleast you can know that the clothing you are wearing is not made by them, fox shox and fox racing are 2 differnt companies.
Except that he didn't pay that kind of price since he bought it 2nd hand...

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jm. said:
Except that he didn't pay that kind of price since he bought it 2nd hand...
OK

but the guy I bought it from paid retail...

I paid 250 for lowers

so FOX got paid 800 for one fork here, Jm.

they didn't remanufacturer the entire fork for me, the put on new lowers and WARRANTIED the defecetive crown steer tube...and I PAID them for the lowers.

so, they made their money here, I would think.

I paid 350 to the original owner...so, I am 600 dolars into a used fork here, dude...

all I asked was they honor what was already warranty work ... I, also, get to pay for shipping, of coarse..

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
The original buyer is the "Virgin".

pdirt said:
OK

but the guy I bought it from paid retail...

I paid 250 for lowers

so FOX got paid 800 for one fork here, Jm.

they didn't remanufacturer the entire fork for me, the put on new lowers and WARRANTIED the defecetive crown steer tube...and I PAID them for the lowers.

so, they made their money here, I would think.

I paid 350 to the original owner...so, I am 600 dolars into a used fork here, dude...

all I asked was they honor what was already warranty work ... I, also, get to pay for shipping, of coarse..
When any of us buy used, we buy responsibility. The original customer gets the "special treatment"...legally and ethically. Manufacturers cannot track the time and history of a fork once it has left the ownership of the original owner. Buy used and buy responsibility.

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
davet said:
Questionable service?

Considering they weren't obligated to do absolutely anything for you (not being the original owner) I'd say you were treated pretty good. I'm assuming they feel one goodwill warranty should be enough.

Used parts are buyer beware. If you want warranty, buy new.
Hmm, I don't agree at all, but thanks for your opinion...

my money will never meet the hands of Fox, ever again...

... and a few friends of mine who were planning on purchases feel the same, I am not alone with this story, and beleive me, in the past I defended them to others who were complaining...

The issue with the fork (crown/steerer) was fixed( warrantied) when I PAID for the lowers.. so the fork was essentially brand new a year ago, a year later it has the same issue (crown/steerer), without being misused at all... keep in mind this was brand new parts to me.. crown/steerer and lowers/bushings, the only thing 'used' at this point was the internals.

if it is warranty work that failed, it needs to be warrantied again... period.

If not, a reasonable explanation would have sufficed, but one was never offered.

Also, if no explanation than no more of my business, and I doubt my friends will want to do business with them either.

I will warn anyone to stear clear of Fox due to this experiance.

My LBS called them after they called me to simply ask why the fork was not warrantied and they were hung up on, and they were refused to be tranesferred, as well.

That is complete BS on Fox's part...

·
eci
2,712 Posts
I also will never buy a fox shox product for the rest of my life. I will still buy jerseys and other such products made by them because they are quality and do withstand abuse.

Their forks and rear shocks on the other hand...

I love my manipoo and zoke and will support their products from here til the end of my riding days

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
snowskilz said:
I also will never buy a fox shox product for the rest of my life. I will still buy jerseys and other such products made by them because they are quality and do withstand abuse.

I love my manipoo and zoke and will support their products from here til the end of my riding days
I have never had a problem with any of my 3 Zoke forks, or with my Romic shock, either.

From here on in it's Zoke only for me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
snowskilz said:

Fox Shox and Fox Clothing are two different companies. Fox Shox has some clothing, but it's made by someone else with their logo on it.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
lastminutebastrd said:
Fox Shox and Fox Clothing are two different companies. Fox Shox has some clothing, but it's made by someone else with their logo on it.
yep, i said that in my first post.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
This is stupid, if warrenties applied to 2nd hand products there's simply be no reason to buy new forks, we'd simply just keep buying all the 2nd hand ones off of each other and keep warrentying them...

It sucks, sounds like a flaw, but that is simply TOUGH TITTY for you, that's the way that it works. If it didn't, there'd be no reason to buy a new fork...

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Jm. said:
This is stupid, if warrenties applied to 2nd hand products there's simply be no reason to buy new forks, we'd simply just keep buying all the 2nd hand ones off of each other and keep warrentying them...

It sucks, sounds like a flaw, but that is simply TOUGH TITTY for you, that's the way that it works. If it didn't, there'd be no reason to buy a new fork...
i like tough titty

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
well, this guy got a hell-of-a-deal and he should be raving about fox's customer service and customer relations, because the first time they warrentied the crown and steerer. The 2nd time around, they did not. He should be thankfull that he got it warrentied the first time, since he was owed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING by fox in the first place. If he doesn't like the jam he's in now, then he shouldn't buy fox forks, but he was owed NOTHING the first time, just like he's owed NOTHING now. That's just the way it is, and that's why a NEW fork costs $550 bucks.

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jm. said:
well, this guy got a hell-of-a-deal and he should be raving about fox's customer service and customer relations, because the first time they warrentied the crown and steerer. The 2nd time around, they did not. He should be thankfull that he got it warrentied the first time, since he was owed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING by fox in the first place. If he doesn't like the jam he's in now, then he shouldn't buy fox forks, but he was owed NOTHING the first time, just like he's owed NOTHING now. That's just the way it is, and that's why a NEW fork costs $550 bucks.
wrong.

All I did was rave about Fox the first time around. I actually searched for my post on it here but the archive only goes back to Jan... I didn't 'expect' a warrnty deal this time, I 'hoped' for one, but was treated rather rudley, and left without a fork or explanatioin, as was my LBS who simply wnated to understand, as I did.

No more Fox for me,

but I'll take all the tough titty I got comin'.

Jm -

if you actually read peoples post a little better you wouldn't look like such an ass when you reply.

Just a helpful hint.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
pdirt said:
wrong.

All I did was rave about Fox the first time around. I actually searched for my post on it here but the archive only goes back to Jan... I didn't 'expect' a warrnty deal this time, I 'hoped' for one, but was treated rather rudley, and left without a fork or explanatioin, as was my LBS who simply wnated to understand, as I did.

No more Fox for me,

but I'll take all the tough titty I got comin'.

Jm -

if you actually read peoples post a little better you wouldn't look like such an ass when you reply.

Just a helpful hint.
You are not raving about fox, you are saying that you are getting "played" by them, you are trying to imply that for some reason they are trying to shorthand you or something. The truth is that they have absolutely NO OBLIGATION to you and they never did.

Your post is titled "questionable customer service", well if "questionable" customer service includes a warrenty to a 2nd hand owner, I must say you are not from this planet.

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jm. said:
You are not raving about fox, you are saying that you are getting "played" by them, you are trying to imply that for some reason they are trying to shorthand you or something. The truth is that they have absolutely NO OBLIGATION to you and they never did.

Your post is titled "questionable customer service", well if "questionable" customer service includes a warrenty to a 2nd hand owner, I must say you are not from this planet.
Your right,

I must be from Uranus or something.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Perpetrator of Lawsuits
393 Posts
drop zone cycling said:
funny I have never have a problem with fox service nor as customer or dealer.
Oh, well that must mean that nobody else has either, right?

Give me a break--I hear pretty much nothing but bad things about Fox's cusomer service. Look around and you'll find a lot of posts from people who basically got hung up on when they complained.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.