Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm especially interested in hearing from the guys running gears and v-brakes: how do you like the drop outs (track ends)? How easy is it getting the wheel in and out and getting it lined up the way you want? Does it stay put? Any other comments? Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
266 Posts
My current (and most common) KM set up is dinglespeed, but I have set it up with gears on occasion, so I'll chime in.

I think that any rear-facing dropout is a little tricky with a derailleur, but not so much so as to rule out using the set-up. Basically, it forces it to become a two-handed job. I learned long ago to be able to put the rear wheel on a vertical-dropout bike without needing to touch the chain, but the KM dropouts make that very tricky.

The V-brakes don't really affect it one way or the other, but I do think disc brakes are tricky on a KM with or without gears.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I have a Pugsley with the same dropouts. V-brakes won't make a difference. A disc brake requires a good skewer because braking wants to throw the wheel out the back. It's a bit of a chore getting the wheel out. You really have to shift to small-small to get enough slack.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
for geared if you need extra clearance run the monkey nuts...

honestly IMHO it's a lot easier with a V then the disc... just make sure the rear is in the small gear grab the chain and and si the small cog onto the chain and slip the wheel up into the track ends... I can't do it without touching the chain... but honestly it's not that hard... does get a little more difficult with the old monkey nuts (they sit on the skewer so you need to make sure they are oriented right).

the disc I was using I had to loosedn the frame mount a little to have it swing out of the way... some have had luck with wavy rotors and being able to "roll" them though the caliper... and as mentioned good skewers are a must... I was using Hope scewers and i finaly managed to get em tight enough that it wouldn't slip... i just tossed on some old LX ones I had laying around and it was much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.