Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek MTB with Bontrager SSR seatpost ( I believe its aluminium). Its almost 3 yrs old.
When I was adjusting the height of saddle, I got some fine black powder on my hand (small amount) from the seatpost.
This was more than a year back.

a) Should I be concerned about the powder on the seatpost?

b) Is lubing seatpost enough for its maintenance?

c) where should I apply lube for the seatpost?

d) Can I use automotive lithium grease for it?

·
Registered
509 Posts
a) Not unless you see physical damage.

b) Yes

c) Lube all that inserts into the frame and also bit above, then wipe off excess above the frame when you have it clamped in place.

d) Will work fine, but I would recommend getting a tube of Park or Phil grease for your bike needs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a) Is Park Tool Polylube 1000 Grease: 4 oz. tube , what you are talking about?
b) I also saw Pedro grease . how is this?

I used automotive lithium grease for my film slide projector earlier.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Unless your seatpost is totally dry, I wouldn't bother greasing it. It's not supposed to move. You just don't want it to seize.

While lithium grease should be fine there, it can be a no-no on other parts of the bike. Sooner or later, you're going to need a marine grease without lithium. Bike-specific grease works great and since I don't use it for anything else, the price and quantity don't really effect me. But you definitely pay a premium for it to say it's for bikes.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Yeah, you don't need any sort of special grease for the majority of bike stuff. You can just use regular old general purpose grease from the hardware store. Might want to use something a bit higher quality if you're repacking a high-end headset or hub, but besides that, no need to spend more than a few bucks.

Lithium grease has a tendency to gum up IME. I don't usually use it for anything on bikes myself.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Okay, thanks. I just didn't find much information about it. I wasn't sure if this kind of grease makes the seatpost slip or not. Well, I'll use it then.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
You could use something like anti-seize or assembly paste instead. But I can't say I've had a problem just using grease. With the seatpost collar secure, you should be good.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used parktool grease. The only problem is that the seatpost is too loose now. I tightened it a bit , but it still goes down a bit and twists slightly( better after I tightened) after a few rides.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Am I the only one who has never greases aluminum seat posts and never had a problem? Steel I understand.. But aluminum? I move my seat post pretty regularly, depending on the trail I'm doing so maybe that's why?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
LOL, I've never added grease. The grease the guy who assembled it used has always been enough.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would sand it down & shoot a coat of paint on it. Lube the moving parts & be done til the paint wears off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts