Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off Friday to meet some friends at Quebec Run before continuing to Big Bear Lake.

I'd not been to either one.
Quebec Run was exactly as described in the link. We city folk always feel like we're "way out there" when we can't hear any cars. At Quebec Run you get that. Lotsa moss, too. There were some downs and ups along Tebolt, but from near the end of Hess, all the way down Miller, to the end of Mill Run was fantastic deep-forest singletrack. You really pay for it on the way back up Tebolt, though. It was damp, but nice, and everything down in those hollows is slippery. We had a great time, though.

Big Bear was...Big Bear. The place is beautiful. Sections of fast singletrack connect some very tough rock features. Even the relative newbs in our group had fun puzzling over what lines to take. Some of those lines are not for the faint of heart, with drops and some big rock rolls. We camped in the tent sites off Village Dr. and Muskrat Ln. Nice platforms for all but the most spacious of tents worked out pretty good for the few showers Fri. night. Because of that location, we were up and down the Dam Connector several times, and hit Roadside Tr. more than once. There is a fun jump line on the Dam Connector, but I'm told the Jump Tr. didn't have any jumps.
Highlights from Saturday:
Gene's - I gotta go back for this one. I could've just sent all the drops on that one, but I kept slowing down to spot them first, so I rolled a lot of them - and not all of them are easily rollable.
Chunder Mtn. - Fast and loose! So much fun with the group I was with. My quads were fried at the bottom from staying low and hauling my HT down that.
We also hit Roadside, Fern, and Little Canaan, which was fun in a weird way. It had some steep, corkscrew climbs though, that seemed HAB only - and I couldn't see riding it in the other direction, so not sure what was up with that one.
Sunday was Crack, and More Crack. I would go there just for those 2 trails. "The Crack" itself is lined with resin lumber making it super sketchy. I felt good about cleaning that without hitting the sides. There was also a BIG (to me) rock roll that felt like I was riding off someone's garage roof. You really can't see the bottom until you're so far over that you can't stop. I was happy to see it was rollable.
More Crack was like a toned down version of Chunder Mtn. It had some really fun lines on it, but less rocks, one wide open drop, and a lot narrower.

Quite the change from our local trails, but my Nimble 9 was the perfect bike for all but the biggest drops. After the last climb out of More Crack I was pretty much done. Legs cooked. Triceps fried. Will def. go back.
No pix worth anything.

-F

·
I live to bike
2,447 Posts
I took off Friday to meet some friends at Quebec Run before continuing to Big Bear Lake.

I'd not been to either one.
Quebec Run was exactly as described in the link. We city folk always feel like we're "way out there" when we can't hear any cars. At Quebec Run you get that. Lotsa moss, too. There were some downs and ups along Tebolt, but from near the end of Hess, all the way down Miller, to the end of Mill Run was fantastic deep-forest singletrack. You really pay for it on the way back up Tebolt, though. It was damp, but nice, and everything down in those hollows is slippery. We had a great time, though.

Big Bear was...Big Bear. The place is beautiful. Sections of fast singletrack connect some very tough rock features. Even the relative newbs in our group had fun puzzling over what lines to take. Some of those lines are not for the faint of heart, with drops and some big rock rolls. We camped in the tent sites off Village Dr. and Muskrat Ln. Nice platforms for all but the most spacious of tents worked out pretty good for the few showers Fri. night. Because of that location, we were up and down the Dam Connector several times, and hit Roadside Tr. more than once. There is a fun jump line on the Dam Connector, but I'm told the Jump Tr. didn't have any jumps.
Highlights from Saturday:
Gene's - I gotta go back for this one. I could've just sent all the drops on that one, but I kept slowing down to spot them first, so I rolled a lot of them - and not all of them are easily rollable.
Chunder Mtn. - Fast and loose! So much fun with the group I was with. My quads were fried at the bottom from staying low and hauling my HT down that.
We also hit Roadside, Fern, and Little Canaan, which was fun in a weird way. It had some steep, corkscrew climbs though, that seemed HAB only - and I couldn't see riding it in the other direction, so not sure what was up with that one.
Sunday was Crack, and More Crack. I would go there just for those 2 trails. "The Crack" itself is lined with resin lumber making it super sketchy. I felt good about cleaning that without hitting the sides. There was also a BIG (to me) rock roll that felt like I was riding off someone's garage roof. You really can't see the bottom until you're so far over that you can't stop. I was happy to see it was rollable.
More Crack was like a toned down version of Chunder Mtn. It had some really fun lines on it, but less rocks, one wide open drop, and a lot narrower.

Quite the change from our local trails, but my Nimble 9 was the perfect bike for all but the biggest drops. After the last climb out of More Crack I was pretty much done. Legs cooked. Triceps fried. Will def. go back.
No pix worth anything.

-F
Sounds like an awesome weekend. I need to get back out to big bear, it's been way too long since I've ridden there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.