Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a almost mint 03 Quasi-moto DH with a 888R built up nicely for DH, weighing in at 41 lbs. I recently added a Hadley / Mavic 823 wheelset. I've used the bike twice for DH and love it. Lately, I've been considering replacing my trail bike (currently 01 Schwinn Straight 6). I was thinking of converting my Titus to a 6 in travel trail bike with the parts on the Schwinn and eventually building up a new DH specific frame. Herein lies my dilemma - what do you think is the best way to go about this?

1. If I go through Titus, I would need a new medium seat tower ($265), lower swingarm ($350), rockers ($65), new shock ($225+).

2. Buy a used Quasi frame and switch out the rear triangle, shock, and seat tower,

3. Find someone that wants to convert their Quasi to DH and swap rear triangle, shock and seat tower.

I've also thought about keeping the Quasi DH for DH and building up a new 6 in trail bike. But, the more I look, the more I realize that the Quasi is one of the better 6 in travel trail bikes out there.

Any thoughts or recommendations on how I should go about this, or whether I should do anything at all? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Could you buy a SuperMoto with the lighter rear end and swap the two? Call Titus to see what is compatable. It doesn't really make sense to spend $900 in upgrades to convert the frame you have.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Titus

I called Titus and discussed various options with the customer service dude. He recommends I keep the Quasi for DH and build up a Supermoto as a long-travel trailbike. I had thought about this before, but was thinking the SM may weigh as much if not more than the Quasi (the Quasi with DH rear is between 9.5-10 lbs). He says I can use a SB rear on the SM to lighten it up. If that's the case, I think you would be able to use the Quasi rear as well since the Quasi can be built up with the SB rear. I would still need to buy a new seat tower (the DH seat tower has a much more slack angle) if I wanted to convert the Quasi. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have quitely watched these forums for quite some time. Recently two threads regarding Quasi Moto's enticed me to register so I could post.

I am in a similar situation regarding my Quasi and I personally would suggest the following. Since the rear triangles are all interchangable between the SuperMoto, Quasi and Switchblade, I would recommend one of two things. FYI: The SB swingarm and stays are 9 ounces lighter than the quasi and stock SuperMoto.

a) buying a Supermoto with a Switchblade rear end. If you wanted to do a really versatile long travel trailbike, have it built with the new 8.25 inch air swinger. You'd have 7 inches of XC air sprung travel.

b) Buy a super moto with the Switchblade rear end and then swap it to your quasi, buy the seat tower and linkage plates. You would have your 6 inch trailbike you always wanted and put the quasi DH rear end and DH parts on your Super Moto (swingarm requires modification by titus for installation)

j

·
Registered
60 Posts
well, I must say, I had a Quasi (2001) and loved it. It was a great trail bike. I had everything from a stratos fork to a Fox fork on there. For the most part, funny thing is, I loved the 6" mode, but with the Fox Forx. It felt really balanced as a trail bike. Had it built up with discs, decent wheels (Kings +velocity), etc..at about 32 lbs. Not bad.

One thing I miss about the Quasi is its plush feeling when going down hill, even under braking. Great thing about FSA designs. Current bike kinda locks out the rear a tad as I am braking. Different feeling.

Anyhow, for hte cost of what you had mentioned, why not buy on ebay the titus blowout quasis they have every now and then. $1300 I think. Hammerhead has one as well for about that price.

Can;t go wrong with the Quasi in my opinion. Keep the DH specific one, unless you are like me who likes tinkering with the bike before every ride.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Titusrider

I called Titus back today and talked at length with a guy who seems to know a lot about Quasis. We discussed the possible options. The two you mentioned were discussed. Buying a Supermoto may be the ticket. It would be a lot easier than trying to convert the Quasi back to a trail bike. What's the downside of going with a Switchblade rear - stiffness? tire clearance? travel? Anyways, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the downside of SB rear end

There is only one. Tire clearance. The SB rear end will fit up to a 2.3 or 2.4 depending on mfg, casing volume, etc. For some that is an issue, for others it is not.

Regarding stiffness. I don't believe it to be that noticable in the stiffness department. If your worried about that, you can get the SB rear end on the SuperMoto with a 12mm thru axle to further assist stiffening up the back end.

·
Armor by Band-Aid
617 Posts
yangpei said:
3. Find someone that wants to convert their Quasi to DH and swap rear triangle, shock and seat tower.
A little late on this thread, but if you're still interested in something like this let me know. I've got a Quasi (with the medium shock tower) that I wouldn't mind converting over to full DH. I've got an RFX that I use more for trail riding.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Possibly - what's your setup?

terminaut said:
A little late on this thread, but if you're still interested in something like this let me know. I've got a Quasi (with the medium shock tower) that I wouldn't mind converting over to full DH. I've got an RFX that I use more for trail riding.
I had pretty much decided to purchase a Super-moto FR and build it up as a 6 inch trail bike until I read your post. What year is your Quasi? What kind of rear shock are you running? The DH rear gets 7.5 inches of travel, I'm looking for a 6 inch setup that is front derailleur compatible. If the rear ends are compatible, I may be interested in a swap. I guess we would need to swap rear triangles, rockers, shock, and seat tower? Anything else? I eventually want to build up another DH bike, so I would like to keep the MRP/cranks,etc. I believe you are also in SoCal area. Tony.

·
Armor by Band-Aid
617 Posts
yangpei said:
I had pretty much decided to purchase a Super-moto FR and build it up as a 6 inch trail bike until I read your post. What year is your Quasi? What kind of rear shock are you running? The DH rear gets 7.5 inches of travel, I'm looking for a 6 inch setup that is front derailleur compatible. If the rear ends are compatible, I may be interested in a swap. I guess we would need to swap rear triangles, rockers, shock, and seat tower? Anything else? I eventually want to build up another DH bike, so I would like to keep the MRP/cranks,etc. I believe you are also in SoCal area. Tony.
Hey there Tony - if I remember right, it's a 2001 Quasi and the rockers adjust between 4.5 and 6 inches... I've got the original Fox shock as well as a Stratos Helix Pro DH shock.

Since we're both in Socal (I'm in Huntington Beach) we could always take a look at the frames before trying anything. I don't know how compatible/interchangeable things really are. In its current configuration I managed to podium it at 12 Hours of Big Bear a few years ago... I'd like to go back with a little more travel! ;-)

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called Titus

terminaut said:
Hey there Tony - if I remember right, it's a 2001 Quasi and the rockers adjust between 4.5 and 6 inches... I've got the original Fox shock as well as a Stratos Helix Pro DH shock.

Since we're both in Socal (I'm in Huntington Beach) we could always take a look at the frames before trying anything. I don't know how compatible/interchangeable things really are. In its current configuration I managed to podium it at 12 Hours of Big Bear a few years ago... I'd like to go back with a little more travel! ;-)
I called Titus to see if there were any compatibility issues. They said that the Quasi switched from bushing to bearings at the main pivot about 2001 or so. Can you tell if your Quasi has bushing or bearings at the main pivot? I couldn't tell from your pics. Tony.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure this will work

terminaut said:
I took a couple of close-up shots of the rocker and bottom bracket bearing areas so you can see how it's setup. Does your frame look similar?

I took similar photos of my Quasi. After studying the pics, I don't think the swap will work. The pivot area looks differenent, as do the mounting bracket of the shock to the front triangle. What do you think? BTW I didn't realize your Quasi was titanium, pretty cool. Anyways, thanks for looking into the switch possibility. I may have to end up keeping the Quasi for DH and build up a Super-moto for trails. Tony.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
yangpei said:
I took similar photos of my Quasi. After studying the pics, I don't think the swap will work. The pivot area looks differenent, as do the mounting bracket of the shock to the front triangle. What do you think? BTW I didn't realize your Quasi was titanium, pretty cool. Anyways, thanks for looking into the switch possibility. I may have to end up keeping the Quasi for DH and build up a Super-moto for trails. Tony.
i had my quasi rear replaced two years ago and titus told me that i couldn't use the new chainstays b/c the older models had a more narrow main pivot. to make sure i would give titus another call. nice ti quasi btw i love mine

·
Armor by Band-Aid
617 Posts
yangpei said:
I think you're right that it looks very different. Was worth a shot, though.

The good news is that it'd be more fun for you to build up a new Super Moto anyways. ;-)

·
Armor by Band-Aid
617 Posts
chenpj said:
i had my quasi rear replaced two years ago and titus told me that i couldn't use the new chainstays b/c the older models had a more narrow main pivot. to make sure i would give titus another call. nice ti quasi btw i love mine
The Quasi's ride great. In titanium it becomes art-like. ;)

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Response from Titus

terminaut said:
I think you're right that it looks very different. Was worth a shot, though.

The good news is that it'd be more fun for you to build up a new Super Moto anyways. ;-)
FYI - here's the response from Titus-

Anthony,

From the photos you've sent it appears that the only easily compatible part between the Ti XC Quasi and black DH is the seat tower. Kits are available for both bikes to make the desired conversion, but because of the model year differences, I don't think you'll be able to simply swap parts between bikes. Here's what I can see from the photos and my recommendations; correct me if I'm wrong about parts.

Quasi Ti XC conversion to DH: This frame I would hazard a guess to be a '99 model since the main pivot at the BB appears to have bushings rather than bearings. The upper swingarm originally would have had bushings as well. The upper may have been converted to bearing kit, but we can't tell from the photo. Nonetheless, lower pivot location, upper pivot location and rockers will not fit your '03 DH. You would need to verify shock length as the Ti bike originally had a 7.25 x 1.75 shock, but may have been converted to the new standard 7.875 x 2 shock ( the length you would use for your XC conversion). To make the Ti bike into a 7 1/2" rear travel DH model it would need a longer lower, a 7.875 x 2.25 shock, longer rockers and a DH tower. Price fro that kit total could cost as much as $750 if all parts were brand new. We can probably locate a used DH kit from one of our racers in the $350-450 price range.

Quasi DH conversion to XC: This frame conversion could be easier as parts are more current and readily available. You would need to replace the lower swingarm, shock , rockers and tower. Price fro that kit total could cost as much as $750-850 if all parts were brand new.

If you find a more recent 2002-2004 XC Quasi or Quasi lite, the parts should easily swap to your DH. It may not be a simple task to swap parts with an '01 or earlier model. Your desired swap is not uncommon. I'd suggest that you put a request out on MTBR fro a swap and see if you get positive response. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Alan Brown
VP Sales and Operations
Titus Cycles, Inc.
1711 W University Dr.; Ste. 157
Tempe, AZ 85281

Ph: 480-894-8452
Fax: 480-894-2770

www.titusti.com

·
Armor by Band-Aid
617 Posts
yangpei said:
FYI - here's the response from Titus-

From the photos you've sent it appears that the only easily compatible part between the Ti XC Quasi and black DH is the seat tower. Kits are available for both bikes to make the desired conversion, but because of the model year differences, I don't think you'll be able to simply swap parts between bikes. Here's what I can see from the photos and my recommendations; correct me if I'm wrong about parts.

www.titusti.com
That's good info for reference (although the shock on my frame is 7.5" x 2.3" and the lower pivot has 4-bearings), and pretty much confirms our suspicions. The good news for me is that if they can sell me a used DH kit for under $400 that might be a good way for me to have a dual-duty Quasi.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.