Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding Sunday afternoon at McDowell Mountain Preserve, and I have a question about the Quartz Trail. The signpost near the start of the trail indicated that it ends in a box canyon. I followed the trail quite a bit further than the mileage noted on the sign...does this trail continue up the mountain and tie into another trail..Lost Dog? I think I say WALTAZ riding his single speed on my way down the Taliesin trail,,,I was the guy sans helmet and gloves. Anyone have any idea on this Quartz trail?

·
Registered
504 Posts
trail deminishes

fairly quickly once it turns west. Last time I was on it we could tell that many people had made attempts to find a trail out of the canyon.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Yetisurly,

Not sure of the mileage posted on that sign, but I can tell you that Quartz trail (named for the Quartz vein which it leads to and is visible from the 101) is currently an out-and-back and does not connect to any trail system. I believe the Radio tower road would be the obvious link...if switchbacks were built to take you out of the canyon. There is another canyon that veers to the right then peters out...not sure of the closest possible connecting trail for this.

Even though this is an out-and-back, it is worth checking out. There is a nice section that I refer to as "the little waterfall". Although not nearly as techinal as SM, it is a beautiful piece of rock and fun to ride up and down.

Continue up quartz trail until it dies....then look up and see the radio towers directly above your head.

I'll go if you're interested in a ride.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Continue up quartz trail until it dies....then look up and see the radio towers directly above your head.

I'll go if you're interested in a ride.[/QUOTE]

I went up till I lost the trail. Someone needs to make switch backs up all the way out of that canyon. It was a kewl trail though, I ran over a rattler on the way up, really pissed him off. I went down the same way and ended up at Via Linda & the canal, rode the road back to the sube at 124th st.
Do they have a plan to tie into McDowell Mountain Park from this side?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I agree, and hope this happens.

I have not seen a proposed route connecting MMP to Lost Dog/Sunrise/Quartz trails. I think connecting the radio tower road/Golden Eagle to Lost Dog is in the works, but I could be mistaken. Let me know next time you go up.

Steve

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
yetisurly said:
I think I say WALTAZ riding his single speed on my way down the Taliesin trail,,,I was the guy sans helmet and gloves.
Was that you coming down the wash between the houses in McDowell Mtn. Ranch? Black and grey goatee and a blue bandanna? If so, yep, that was me on the black Fetish SS grinding my way up. Where was your helmet?

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
waltaz said:
Was that you coming down the wash between the houses in McDowell Mtn. Ranch? Black and grey goatee and a blue bandanna? If so, yep, that was me on the black Fetish SS grinding my way up. Where was your helmet?
Yes, that was I. I neglected to bring 1/2 of my gear with me on that ride.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
AZClydesdale said:
I'm out for riding tonight but I will ride tomorrow night at 7-ish. Let me know if interested.
What about late tonight, like 8:30-9-ish? I'm thinking of going up Sunrise on the SS, for some stupid reason.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
waltaz said:
What about late tonight, like 8:30-9-ish? I'm thinking of going up Sunrise on the SS, for some stupid reason.
We got last minute tickets to tonight's Suns game, otherwise I'd join you. Let's ride soon Walt, I haven't even seen your fixie yet!

DHF says it is a piece of sh*t, but I want to see it anyway!!!

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Sunrise Ride Weds. 8:45 pm

funboarder1971 said:
35th Ave/Beardsley
We can start at 124th St. Take 101 to Shea, Shea east to 124th St., 124th St. north (left) to where it peters out just past the elementary school, continue straight through a dip, then look to park on the right.

I'll be riding from my house and will plan to be there between 8:45 and 9:00.

Anybody else want to join? Scott/IBIKEAZ?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me! :D

I'll be driving my blue/white POS pickup.

waltaz said:
We can start at 124th St. Take 101 to Shea, Shea east to 124th St., 124th St. north (left) to where it peters out just past the elementary school, continue straight through a dip, then look to park on the right.

I'll be riding from my house and will plan to be there between 8:45 and 9:00.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
waltaz said:
I wish I could, but I am busy until 2:00 a.m. Anyone up for a 2:00 a.m. ride. :D

Why is the trail called Lost Dog? What happened, someone lost their dog out there?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.