Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grumpiness habitually sets in for me around this time each year. Too little light, too much snow, not enough dirt.

Readjusting mission protocol southward usually helps.

El C and wasea04 et al showed me some of the newly built features on The Barrels.

Here's El Chingon sampling the the Hip. The new BJ drop was too soggy to attempt but it looks super sweet. I'll be back to try that one later.

The rest of the agents had other assignments for the afternoon so I was left to myself, Tim R, and Zen. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Missed it by "this" much.

Bond has his DBS..... KRob has his D-T.

Back to the mission.

As you'd expect.... there were a few tight spots....

Overhangs...

and cliff hangers.

Setting up a covert observation post.

A time for reflection....

and for escape.

Zen: If you haven't done it... you should. It's good for the soul.

A solo return to the Barrels after the orientation of the previous day allowed me to accomplish a few objectives that were left undone: The Hip, South Shore Creek Gap.... but my nerve failed me on the High Dive.

The target zone moved to Paradise for the afternoon. Team Sanchez guided.

Technical targets were hit going up......

and dropping off.

Surveilance of the target.....

Bombs away!!

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last day of the year = Last ride of the year.

It's always risky heading to Vegas on New Year's Eve.... but I figured I'd be safe from the seething masses up here. It was in the mid-thirties at the start so I knew the LasVegans would still be hunkered down in their cozy beds and the tourons would still be yanking the handle.

Solitude and tacky good trails were my reward.

Overlooking from above while the masses toil in the haze.

I acheived a new personal best in number of feet dropped while riding Paradise with Team Sanchez that I thought wouldn't be surpassed for sometime (6'.....yeah, I know, see the avatar:rolleyes: ), but on day three on the Boneshaker the D-T and I were on it and feeling a level of confidence (or lack of judgement) that led us exceed our previous mark by a fair margin. Not sure how it happened but when I looked back up at what I dropped it scared the beejeebees out of me.:eekster: :eekster:

This second-to-last drop on the Boneshaker fall-line is easily 8-9 ft. Standing on my tip toes and stretching my hand up as high as I can, I can nearly touch an 8 ft ceiling... but I was still a good foot below the lip when I tried that on this sucker. It did not look nearly that big from above......... D'oh. Not sure I'd try it again now that I know.

The run out/tranny is steep and loose and.....well, lets just say I had an opportunity to lay down for a minute and examine the flora while I recovered from a good nutcracker/face plant.:thumbsup:

Don't mess with the shiner.:skep:

Mission accomplished. License to thrill intact.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
JackFromNC said:
Great shots and way to up the ante on the drops. Loose trannies freak me out.
Thanks. Yeah, I did stop and take a look at this drop before launching it but I didn't even think about the tranny. I think I woulda been OK except I landed a little offline and was kinda heading for a big rock and I seriously underestimated the speed that was generated by landing a 9 foot drop onto a steep tranny.........End result: Washout and face plant.

Here's a couple more pics that El C posted over on the Turner Board of the 6 footer I did the day before. I rolled it first, then dropped it. Someone's gotta give me some tips for looking more relaxed in the air though. I always look like a constipated dead sailor with rigormotis.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Ohhhh! to hear the crunch of gravel under my tires. I love the terrain you guys got there. My ride today consisted of slogging through slimy goo. Still it was a ride and any ride beats the alternative.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
Your "covert observation post" has me thinking "road trip!" NOW.
Damn work :madman:

Nice shots and riding there.

·
Brit on a trip
453 Posts
Nice work sir! The colours are superb - is it done by using a filter or can your camera deliver that with appropriate settings. Nice to see some of the trails we were on in October but the hucking is way out of our league:eek:

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Redmon said:
Superb shots Kent! Looks like you ready to do some serious hucking!
Thanks Shawn. That 8-9' footer at the bottom of the Boneshaker is about as serious as I'm going to get. I still get a bit queezy when i think about it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wg said:
Your "covert observation post" has me thinking "road trip!" NOW.
Damn work :madman:

Nice shots and riding there.
Thanks. How far are you from St. George? If you get there, definitely check out Zen. It's a beautifully built trail with great views, techy climbs, and a fun descent.

The overlook is particularly nice right now with the snow covered peaks as backdrop.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tor-y-Foel said:
Nice work sir! The colours are superb - is it done by using a filter or can your camera deliver that with appropriate settings. Nice to see some of the trails we were on in October but the hucking is way out of our league:eek:
Thanks. Simple P & S camera. Post-editing helped the colors. It's just so bright out here in the desert on clear days like this that most pictures look a bit over exposed without some help.

I use a free download photo editor called irfanview that has an adjustment called "gamma correction." No idea what that means or what it does but I slide it down to 68-77 and increase the color saturation a bit to get the deeper colors on those bright days.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.