Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking I may try to build up a SS specific bike without killing myself financially. I have found the On-One Inbred and IRO Highlander on sale for $200-300 for the frame. I didn't find any reviews in the Review area of MTBR. Can anyone comment; good/bad, heavy/light, etc.? IRO is supposed to be releasing the Mia in early 2005 which is disc compatible.

I'm flirting with the idea of running an enduro race with some guys out in Cali. next summer, but I don't think I would want to run it on my 1990 Schwinn convert. I've wanted to build a SS frame, so this may be the excuse I need to do it!

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
151 Posts
On One's good and heavy...

I've had my Inbred for a few months and it's pretty much my favorite bike ever. As far as weight goes, yes, it is heavy, but not portly by any means and can still be built up to a respectable weight by throwing loads of money at it.

I know nothing about IRO other than reviews (positive) I've seen on their fixie frame in Dirt Rag.

Can you ride them both before you buy? Good luck!

·
Glutton for punishment
581 Posts
Seeing as that's a subjective topic, let's try...

Are you guys still working on the sliding dropout steel Inbred? Seeing as a disc compatible Inbred and matching rigid fork is at the top of my new SS list, I'm interested to know if you're still going down that road.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have an IRO Highlander.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=42051

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22679&item=3694243857&rd=1

I haven't rode it a lot yet, see link to bike, although I'm fairly impressed with the contruction of the frame. I'm picky about frames, my three other bikes are a Litespeed Vortex, a Bianchi Reparto Corse Nivacrom lugged frame and a Santa Cruz Superlight. I've also included a Ebay link to the frame, this is where I bought mine, my feedback on the auction is under 2wheelfan. Back to the frame, the ride on it is excellent, no bottom bracket flex. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong and if you don't like it, sell it.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
The Gary Fisher Rig will probably hit the market in a few months. It's bound to be a super fast, comfortable, decently light, Avid Disc equipped bike. Hard to beat the price by building yourself.
I totally love my Surly Karate Monkey. Well worth the WEIGHT.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Can I start a thread with a topic of "define quality" then :)???
Yes, perhaps my question is a little vague and will illicit subjective feedback, but considering there is nothing in the review portion of this site on either frame (that I have found searching "2004 Singlespeed") to draw information from, I'm forced to ask the question in order to make an educated decision. I'm willing to take anything I can get. I guess I should have titled the thread "Feedback on IRO and On-One?".

Quality comes in many forms, but I want to know is the whole picture; is the paint good or does it look like it was painted by a 4 yr. old, are the welds clean, is it a nice ride, is the company easy to deal with when there is a problem, do the consumers favor one over the other due to the intrinsic properties of the product/company.........that is what I mean when I ask about "quality".

And to answer the other question, I don't think anyone around here carries either frame. I think singlespeeding in MI has a pretty small movement supporting it. Most shops can get SS frames, but they have to be ordered.

Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Try this...

Start by determining what you want the bike to do. Is this going to be a dedicated woodsbike, a townie or an all-arounder? Then decide if it is going to have a suspension fork or rigid. If you decide to go rigid, take the IRO out of the equation. I rode an aluminum frame with a rigid fork around for a couple of years and I wouldn't choose to do it again unless I had to (it was still beter than NOT singlespeeding!). Next, look at the frame geometries and compare them to what you are riding now and decide which frame would feel better to you.

IRO geometry
On*One geometry

As far as welds and such, once again, I'll give the On*One fine marks for the price, and as far as customer service and attentiveness, the owner of the company was the first to reply to your previous post. Despite being on another continent, Brant has never taken more than eight hours to respond to any of my e-mail inquiries and usually responds within an hour or two.

I have owned some higher end steel geared frames, and I like the way my Inbred handles better. Of course the welds aren't perfect looking, but they are more than servicable.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rocket Reducer No. 62 said:
Start by determining what you want the bike to do. Is this going to be a dedicated woodsbike, a townie or an all-arounder? Then decide if it is going to have a suspension fork or rigid. If you decide to go rigid, take the IRO out of the equation. I rode an aluminum frame with a rigid fork around for a couple of years and I wouldn't choose to do it again unless I had to (it was still beter than NOT singlespeeding!). Next, look at the frame geometries and compare them to what you are riding now and decide which frame would feel better to you.

IRO geometry
On*One geometry

As far as welds and such, once again, I'll give the On*One fine marks for the price, and as far as customer service and attentiveness, the owner of the company was the first to reply to your previous post. Despite being on another continent, Brant has never taken more than eight hours to respond to any of my e-mail inquiries and usually responds within an hour or two.

I have owned some higher end steel geared frames, and I like the way my Inbred handles better. Of course the welds aren't perfect looking, but they are more than servicable.

Hope this helps...
I have always been a fan of steel, making me lean toward On-One. However, those who who have offered input about IRO give favorable marks as well, so it's just part of the process to determine what I want. Both my converted SS and geared rigs are steel, and haven't been a fan of aluminum in the past (though I have been told that I'm suffering from old school thinking since aluminum frames aren't as bad as they once were). Whatever I get WILL have susp.!!! My current SS will be transformed to an all-around rig while this will become my nimble woods/mountain steed.

Brant- If you're reading, hopefully no offense was taken at my dry, blunt response. I simply like to be an informed consumer, hence me comparing and wanting to know everything I can about your product. I'm also a scientist and anal by nature, so the simple matter of buying a frame will bring me many hours of research! :D Good riding!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Highlander quality

The paint on the Highlander is very good. The welds are consistent and conformed in size. I have seen a lot worse and the one's on the Highlander are more than acceptable. For the money, it's an great frame. Having rode a full suspension for the past couple of years it's still a little weird riding a hardtail, Super plush up front and the aluminum frame does give a kick when the back wheel hits anything.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much does an On-One w/ EBB retail for in the US? I've only seen the horizontal dropouts sold.

·
Registered
230 Posts
IRO owner here...

Here's my IRO. It looks a bit different these days. I swapped out the drop bars for bullhorn/TT bars 'cause I found myself on the hoods or flats most times anyway.

I've no experience with their singlespeed frame, but I'd guess the build quality would be similar to their fixie.

That's an IRO Jamie Roy, it's the same frame that was written up in a recent Dirt Rag. I happened to be in the market for an inexpensive fixie frame when that issue came out and when I went to check out the website after reading that article I discovered that the '03 frames were on clearance for <$200, so I jumped on that deal.

I would have preferred steel, but couldn't pass on the price of the IRO. I splurged and built it up w/ a carbon fork that even with a killer deal cost more than the frame (Reynolds Ouzo Pro) and carbon seatpost (Bontrager RaceXLite) to soften the ride a bit.

I've got nearly 2000 commute miles on it since I built it up in March and am still loving it. I have no complaints about the ride and the welds aren't quite flawless works of art, but they're consistent and fairly uniform. My only complaints are a couple of minor aesthetic details. First, is that the cable stops on the top-tube sorta mess of the otherwise clean lines of the frame. That's not really an issue for a SS frame as I'm assuming you're going to be running both front and rear brakes. Second, the graphics didn't really appeal to me, but fortunately they were simply vinyl stickers and there was no clearcoat over them so I simply removed them, and added my own assortment of stickers.

-Trevor

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the Inbred said:
i love my Inbred. love it, love it, love it. any bike i get after it will be custom geometry, modeled after my Inbred.
Are there any shops in the US that carry Inbreds w/ an EBB? Or would I have to order direct?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not that I know of

zanq said:
Are there any shops in the US that carry Inbreds w/ an EBB? Or would I have to order direct?
I ordered mine directly from Brant, and at that time the 20" frames were all he had available. According to the website, that is still the case. Is that your size?

·
singlespeed smash brother
318 Posts
My Imbread is the best. I've had mine for 2 years and I've an opportunity to upgrade the frame to something else several times and can't bring my self to part with it. I have a 16" ebb which are rare as hens teeth now and I've been getting a lot of decent offers for my frame from people who just need to have one. Even with the paint all worn and scratched. I run it with a 4" fork and the handling is sweet. Customer service is second to none.

Ok so lets see if I cna answer some of your questions.
Welds are good and neat.
Paint is good and duarable. I.ve worn it off on one of my chain stays but Thats to be expected after 2 years and riding in mud a lot.
The ride Is great. Shes a little stiffer in the rear than I'd like but not Al stiff.

I only really have one ctiticism and thats that my frame could use another cable guide in the middle of the top tube. I've seen later models and they seem to have done this.

If I were to seriously concider upgrading to a new frame I'd go the Ti ebb.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rocket Reducer No. 62 said:
I ordered mine directly from Brant, and at that time the 20" frames were all he had available. According to the website, that is still the case. Is that your size?
Yep, that's what I would need - 20". How much did international shipping run?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts