Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
luddite
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned today that SKF signed QBP as the US distributor for their bottom brackets. The enabling technology seems to be (cylindrical?) roller bearings on the drive side, not ball bearings. This is interesting to me because I mash more than I should and end up going through a BB about every six months, and it's because the bearing cartriges develop play, not because they sieze up. FSA, Race Face, Truvativ -- they all last about 6 months.

I ordered one to try it out. I'll try to remember to post a performance evaluation after a few months. Anyone over there in Europe have anything to say about SKF products?

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?contentId=191006&lang=en

·
Wolf nipple chips
504 Posts
six months?

I can't imagine what you're doing to that BB to cause it to crap out on you so soon. i'm a 200+ lb rider and have been riding a shimano bb (i think a un52) for a few years now. it was on my hardtail, and then got transferred over when it became my singlespeed. i crank the hell out of it all the time, in all weather. no problems. what gives?

CF

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Cabin Fever said:
I can't imagine what you're doing to that BB to cause it to crap out on you so soon. i'm a 200+ lb rider and have been riding a shimano bb (i think a un52) for a few years now. it was on my hardtail, and then got transferred over when it became my singlespeed. i crank the hell out of it all the time, in all weather. no problems. what gives?

CF
Six months use to be a long time for a BB to last for me. I am just hard on them even though I am (was) under 170#. Went through 3-4 a year until I installed a "Zerk" kit (grease fitting). The cartridge BB that was stock in my Voodoo lasted under 2 months.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
MadCowRider said:
I learned today that SKF signed QBP as the US distributor for their bottom brackets. The enabling technology seems to be (cylindrical?) roller bearings on the drive side, not ball bearings. This is interesting to me because I mash more than I should and end up going through a BB about every six months, and it's because the bearing cartriges develop play, not because they sieze up. FSA, Race Face, Truvativ -- they all last about 6 months.

I ordered one to try it out. I'll try to remember to post a performance evaluation after a few months. Anyone over there in Europe have anything to say about SKF products?

I'm not in Europe, but I dealt with bearings, machines, machining and manufacturing in a previous life. SKF was a supplier, but everything would fail rather equally and we measured good and bad by fast service and perks from sales people more than something like Campy mystique.

I am sure I've seen SKF cartridge bearings in various bike parts such as hubs or BBs before.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
SKF make great bearings!

In the UK PACE are selling these new BB's I think I read somewhere that they are offering a 2 year warranty on the ISIS version!!!!!!!!! - at last a decent ISIS BB .....just after we've converted to outboard bearings! Doh !

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The cute sales lady on Eurobike explained it all to us, the Dutch Giant Three. Good story, and espcially for ISIS there should be an advantage.

My Truvativ ISIS on one bike developped play after the pathetic mileage I run, in a short time. Next was a RaceFace XC Evolove ot something, and with just road mileage and hardly any wet weather (good appt building, and I emlt in the rain), it started making weird noises and now drags considerably, no play to mention. Power difference like between being fit or out of shape. Tiring. Frurating. I paid good money for that RaceFace!

·
Supersonic Garfield
626 Posts
SKF makes great products. Certainly one of the world leaders in the bearings-industry.

I have their stainless steel version on test now, mounted on a singlespeed. I'll be writing a review for a norwegian magazine that is released in late february.

So far no problems. It has been used extensively in a very rainy fall-season here in Norway with loads of mud, grime, snow etc since early october. A few more months will tell for sure.

·
luddite
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post an english translation of your article

When your evaluation is complete, please post a copy or a link on the forum. Based on the message below it looks like those of us in North America will have to wait a few more months before we can begin our test rides.

Here's a snip from a message I got from QBP:
-------------------------------------------------------

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us, we always welcome feedback and really take it to heart.

It's funny you inquire about SKF, because they are one of our newest vendors. We will have them available starting this spring sometime and will be highlighted in the 2006 QBP Dealer Catalog. You can tell you Bike Shop that QBP will have a range of SKF Bottom Brackets available this coming spring. I agree that it is an excellent product which makes much sense!

Thanks again for the feedback,

Frank Lundeen
Quality Bicycle Products - Customer Service Agent
--------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
121 Posts
i've had my regional rep trying to score me two SKF BBs since they first came out in europe. i think he forgot about me. :rolleyes:

i'd love to chime in and say how wonderful SKF products are, but i shouldn't because i actually work for SKF. i'm in their reliability department. i do vibration monitoring on bearings in a paper mill.

other than small cartridge bearings and seals many companies use in headsets, hubs and bottom brackets, this is their first purpose built bicycle product. i'm curious to see how they hold up too. SKF has been building wheel bearing units used on cars and trucks for decades so there is some trickle down going on here. but bottom brackets are a different animal with the low speeds and high loads.

there was an article on SKF's website a few months back, i'll try to find it and post the link here.

**edit** added link

·
luddite
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got mine on Friday

It took a while but my LBS was finally able to get one from QBP. The party line out here is that QBP didn't get them from SKF until early this month. I don't know if I believe it, but it's water under the bridge now that I have one. :) I will be putting mine on my bike this weekend after a cassette/chain swap. I got the -600 version (ISIS) and it cost me $99. 'Looks just like the picture in the post above.

-m

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
aosty said:
*bumping old thread*

Anyone using them yet... any word on durability?
I just ordered the BAS 300 square taper BB from Speedgoat. I plan on using it on my Scandal frame, but that might not be here until August. :madman: Paid full retail of $60 for the lowest end model. I hope it is a great product. :thumbsup:

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
MadCowRider said:
It took a while but my LBS was finally able to get one from QBP. The party line out here is that QBP didn't get them from SKF until early this month. I don't know if I believe it, but it's water under the bridge now that I have one. :) I will be putting mine on my bike this weekend after a cassette/chain swap. I got the -600 version (ISIS) and it cost me $99. 'Looks just like the picture in the post above.

-m
I think someone is lying to you, they've been available for months. I've purchased a few 600 series ISIS ones from QBP over the past several months.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
I just ordered the BAS 300 square taper BB from Speedgoat. I plan on using it on my Scandal frame, but that might not be here until August. :madman: Paid full retail of $60 for the lowest end model. I hope it is a great product. :thumbsup:
Woops. Got my shipping confirmation from Speedgoat... SKF BB is BACKORDERED. :madmax:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.