Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me that I'm not starting a thread that has been beaten to death, if so I apologize in advance. I'm finally at a stage where I am ready to go with a new bike and am looking to spend about $1500-$2000. A few bikes have my attention, all FS. I like the Trek Fuel bikes, in particular the 7 series I found. I looked at a giant, but I do not remember which one and one Cannondale that was on sale, a Gemini 900. I also found a great deal on a Ibex Apogee on line but I am really skeptical about that. A few people have told me to be careful with that. So my question is am I looking at quality FS bikes that can handle a lot and ride for a long time, or do I need to wait a while and save my pennies? Thanks for your time...

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Pick one

You're choices are all over the travel specrum. I know you can gat a Prophet 600 for around $1500 that would be more versital than the Gemini and a little closer to you're other choices and you can't really beat the Cannondale warranty. I've never seen an Ibex on the trail or known anyone who owned one.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
you are in luck

brderj said:
Please tell me that I'm not starting a thread that has been beaten to death, if so I apologize in advance. I'm finally at a stage where I am ready to go with a new bike and am looking to spend about $1500-$2000. A few bikes have my attention, all FS. I like the Trek Fuel bikes, in particular the 7 series I found. I looked at a giant, but I do not remember which one and one Cannondale that was on sale, a Gemini 900. I also found a great deal on a Ibex Apogee on line but I am really skeptical about that. A few people have told me to be careful with that. So my question is am I looking at quality FS bikes that can handle a lot and ride for a long time, or do I need to wait a while and save my pennies? Thanks for your time...
With $1500-2000 you can get some amazing bikes wth good components:

Giant Maestro
Iron Horse mark iii

are as good as botique bikes in build and probably pedal better than most.

you can get a Cannondale with thr most beutiful construction around, in my humble op)

If you go toward $2000 (and maybe a bit more) and shop around you could get a Titus Motolite, or a Yeti 575 check ou for example http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/), or a Santa Cruz Blur, especially now that the santa cruz line up is changing you might find a good deal around. And these are bikes that have some of the best construction and performance around!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems to me, and that could mean nothing, that buying a bike online is a little risky. After talking to the good people at my local shop here it just seems like there is so much that goes into sizing a bike to a person, and I'm pretty sure I could mess that up royaly. There is the other question of putting the bike together, messing with the suspension.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also like the Gemini. The only thing I have a problem with on that bike is the rear shock. In the shop they had a fox, vanilla I think, coil over. It's so nice but I dont know enough about it. I really like the lock out option that Rock shox ario has, among others, and if this shock can do that than I am totally sold on it. :D Thanks for the link on the review of the Apogee.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
yep. fit is THE

key, eff it up and well, you won't ride the bike.

Take your time to make sure it fits, and that the shop you deal with helps you with swapping of stems, bars and saddles to get you on your way. There shouldn't be any cost to do that, unless you are upgrading those specific parts at swap out time.

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the bike shop has a nice fitting station and I was already told that the fitting was free of charge. They even said they would prefer me to be fitted to the bike before I even take it for a test spin. A group of great people down there. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.