Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend some quality chamois padded shorts for mtn riding? Basically, for any riding I guess casual type baggy or what not. I have a couple pair that I recently bought at REI and they both stink. The padding already seems to be flattening out and really isnt all that padded. Looking for some recommended brands or ???

Thanks

Jordan

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I don't ride baggies only spandex. If you are confident enough to wear spandex try Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor shorts. Kinda expensive at 90.00 per pair but they feel fantastic and if you take care of them should last for years and years. Great quality, fit comfort, etc...

For baggies I have heard that Hoss shorts are good.

·
W.M.A.
365 Posts
just returned my Fox Mid-Rangers that fit like sh|t and chamois fell apart after 5 rides... got some Hoss Poderosa after reading about them on here - great fit and tons of pockets that close securely... blood washed right out of them too :D... got em at pricepoint.com

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use a cheap pair of hiking cargo shorts and a Peral Izumi liner with 3d chamois - never could find a combo short/liner that I liked.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Fox High Frequency shorts. Not too much and not too little padding. Light and well ventilated too.

I used to like Oakley 2.4s and the Ballistics but they are so heavy and hot, great chamois though. I had Louis Garneaus but the padding is non existent and they are also on the short side as well.

Zoic's are terrible. Bad construction and the chamois will chafe you raw. I had Pearls but refuse to wear them because the seams also rubbed me very raw.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Most chamois in baggy shorts are average at best, some really suck.

I use Pearl's Microsensors 3D. Last week I bought my forth pair. They get rotated, so I'm set for awhile.

I use lycra for MTB, it's purly function over fasion. If you have to wear baggies, use unlined shorts over a quality lycra biking short. That's the best combo.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Fox Hi-Frequencies have an incredible shammy. If you want max padding (but major diaper effect) Nema Crown Jewels. Kinda like sitting on a pillow, or maybe having a pillow in your shorts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ride with lycra road biking shorts (most have a great chamois) and any pair of nylon baggy regular shorts. This combo works great. The integrated MTB ones kinda suck. Too much stuff going on in there, everything always gets twisted about. As a bonus, the reg shorts can be worn anytime and you probably already have a pair.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
I've worn bibs with a regular pair of shorts before and they were good to go. I've tried out Pearl's microsensor bib shorts and the pad really didn't agree with me. The Ultrasensors and attack bib shorts from Pearls pad is different and I haven't had any problem with them. Comfortable but expensive. I had a pair of REI bibsshorts that were closeout, 25 bucks and they felt really good. I was impressed. I think they change their supplier from year to year. The padding was trademarked. I haven't seen them advertised in this years shorts. I have a pair of performance shorts that are older. They feel good but the quality of the stiching throughout is not as good. It came apart within a few months of riding. That might not be the case now. I've heard good things about Voler shorts. Not bad pricing either. Goodluck!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I picked up a pair of Cannondale Grind baggie shorts from REI about a week ago and have 3 multiple hour rides in them. Really nice chamois pad that seems to fit just right, but I'm already having some stitching falling apart in the liner.

Needless to say I will be returning them tomorrow and I haven decided if I'll exchange them or go for something else. Before these shorts I was wearing a pair of O'Neil Super Freak board shorts and a pair of Under Armour compression shorts underneath. That worked really well, but long rides left me sore.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I just got a couple of Voler shorts. 1 pair of the Saber and one of the Elite. So far, I'm not liking the Elite (the more expensive ones) as the stitching seems to chafe my dangly bits, but the Saber ones are great. As far as I can tell, the Peloton and the Avanti and the Sabers are pretty much all the same short, just different colors or logos. 8 panel with the same chamois. They're the company who makes the MTBR shorts, even; in the Peloton model.

Join their V-club and you get some decent discounts, too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
shadowflag said:
just returned my Fox Mid-Rangers that fit like sh|t and chamois fell apart after 5 rides... got some Hoss Poderosa after reading about them on here - great fit and tons of pockets that close securely... blood washed right out of them too :D... got em at pricepoint.com
For overall value I'd second the Hoss recommendation. Bought a pair over a year ago direct from them and they have held up extremely well. As mentioned above they are now available at some of the mail order companies. Believe their website is www.hossmtb.com

I also got a jersey - again great bang for the buck. Beginning to 'pile' a bit from repeated washings, etc... but neither the baggies nor the jersey has suffered from my multiple rock, tree, and soil samples.

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
The best baggy shorts with padding were the

oakleys 2.1 I think they were called I had them so long that I forgot the name. Mine are 5 years old they have hundreds of riding hours, some crashes and they still look and work great the seam on the back of the short is comming apart but they still work good.

They were veryyyyy expensive, but in retrospect they were worth every penny. I do wear lycra a lot, but when I commute I try to look normal:D so people don´t get to scared:eek:

I know that oakley is not making anything even close, so I have to find something else or go 100% lycra baby and show some shaved leg.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got some Hoss Ponderosa shorts from everyone's recommendations on here and I LOVE them.
The padding kinda feels like you're wearing a diaper, but I guess it's just because I've never worn padded shorts before....
You totally forget it's there when you're on the bike though.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.