Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the sport and looking for a quality bike to begin with.... The main components I am looking for in a 29er are quality shocks and hydraulic disc brakes? I hear the SR Suntour SF11 XCM shocks aren't the highest quality and I guess I prefer hydraulic disc brakes after test ridin a few different bikes...

So far I am looking into..

Trek Marlin
Jamis Exile 1
Marin Alpine Trail 29er
Specialized Hardrock

Any suggestions on these bikes would be great help. Also, feel free to recommend any bike I am missing (each one of these listed is missing one of my requests). I am looking to spend up to $800, but the better bang for the buck is what I want. A bike that is a 29er with quality shocks and hydraulic disc brakes.

Thanks for you help...

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
How many of these have you ridden ? The fit , getting a bike that fits correctly is the single most important thing . I suggest that you ride all of them , more than once to narrow down your choices .

·
Administrator
11,802 Posts
I second what AZ.MTNS says. As they say: the excitement of a good deal last a short time, the disappointment of poor fit last the life of your relationship with the bike.

Find one that works for you best and spend the cash to get it or surf the MTBR classifieds to find a nicely used model.

·
Registered
137 Posts
at that price point I wouldn't require hydraulic discs as they won't be the best. A set of good mechanicals will be better, not to mention more serviceable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The best bike is the bike that fits you best. That said, if you're bent on spending 800 bucks or less, bikesdirect.com has pretty sweet deals. But you'll have to be pretty confident that you know the exact geometry you want.

In any case, once you buy it, stop worrying about the bike and just ride as much as you can.

BTW, a good way to save money and weight is to go singlespeed, but that's a slightly different game.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.