Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my MTB to work (monday-friday) now for about 3 months. I ride a hard tail Kona with an Avatar seat which I like. My ride is about 4.5 miles one way. I'm having a problem with my quadriceps hurting all the time. They hurt as soon as I hop on the bike and begin pedaling uphill or downhill. I thought that I would just ride through the pain but it isn't going away, it is getting worse.

I'm 32 years old, 5'-8" and 225# (and dropping).

Should I look into some nutrients for muscles? What kind? I am no doctor, I don't understand my body the way I should.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the seat up where my leg is straight at the bottom. Any higher and I'd need to lean to reach the pedals. If I move it lower, it does feel awkward.

(Nice avatar!)

·
Registered
122 Posts
How hard are pushing when riding? If this a daily commute then try riding slower/lower gear. If you are pushing hard every day then you are over working your leggs and they will always hurt. I would suggest riding to work at a higher cadance or easier pace (both mean slower speed) and see if your leggs start to feel better. If not then stop riding for a few days to sse if that is your issue.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ride as hard as I can. I would like to be able to ride up steeper trails eventually. I ride 4.5 miles to work. It takes about 20 minutes to work, and 30 minutes home, there is a large hill and it is usually hotter. I drink about a quart of water on the ride home.

I was riding with a higher cadence to get used to pedaling in a circle. Now I've switched to trying to work harder. Maybe I should slow down some. That is tough to do though.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
clarkfam3 said:
your legs need to recover or they will never get better. start by alternating hard days and easy days.
This is what I've been doing for the passed 2 months. I ride almost everyday but I rarly get sore enough that it affects me. I'm also a vegetarian, so I eat LOTS of fruit (namely, bananas) which I'm sure helps.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
tonkota said:
I have the seat up where my leg is straight at the bottom. Any higher and I'd need to lean to reach the pedals. If I move it lower, it does feel awkward.
I've never come across an instance of sore quads that wasn't fixed by raising the seat. 3mm is a noticable difference, i would just try it, and see if it helps, even though it feels wrong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
agm2 said:
Do you stretch before you ride. I know that for a while if I didn't stretch my quads before I went they would kill. Try doing some stretches before your next trip
To add to this, it's not very "manly", but doing yoga REALLY helps too. (I know, now I sound like the biggest hippie ever. First I'm a veg-head, now a yoga-doer) Seriously though, my Mother is a yoga instructor at a local gym and she got me to go to a few of her classes and now I do yoga with her whenever I'm at home and it REALLY helps. Even a basic youtube video works. You get more in tune with your body and how far you can push it, while actually improving how far you can push it.

BTW, for all you guys that think yoga is too girly, if you look into it, you'll realize that TONS of pro atheletes do yoga, so don't dismiss it too quickly. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Try moving your saddle back more or maybe the bike is too small for you. I'm riding a bike that a bit small for me. I have a setback post and I have the saddle as back as it can get. By adjusting the seat, it help my quads not hurting/cramping.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1max2nv said:
Try moving your saddle back more or maybe the bike is too small for you. I'm riding a bike that a bit small for me. I have a setback post and I have the saddle as back as it can get. By adjusting the seat, it help my quads not hurting/cramping.
You may be onto something. I did buy a new seat a couple weeks ago. I'll change that for the ride home and see how it goes.

I do stretch, but only after I ride (or in the middle if I take a break on the trail). Should I do light stretching before too?

·
ride the moment
1,067 Posts
Yoga for total body health and peace of mind. On the other hand, if all you're looking for is to make your quads quit hurting, then alternate hard and easy days and stretch after you ride, or for even better injury prevention, after a short warm-up before the hard part of the ride.

Just for clarification, do they hurt only while riding or when resting at home/work as well?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dogbrain said:
Yoga for total body health and peace of mind. On the other hand, if all you're looking for is to make your quads quit hurting, then alternate hard and easy days and stretch after you ride, or for even better injury prevention, after a short warm-up before the hard part of the ride.

Just for clarification, do they hurt only while riding or when resting at home/work as well?
Just when riding. I rode a little easier (lower gear, but faster cadence) last night. My legs felt ok after that. Maybe I am just expecting too much from my body. I really want to build my legs so I can be more effective on the trail.

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
I'm still young at heart and ride like I'm 25 but at 41 I can't just go balls-out without a warm-up, and I HATE to stretch. If nothing else then ride slow for 5-10 minutes before you go crazy. A couple days ago I didn't take my own advice and my right calve started hurting yesterday. Today it's worse.

Normally what I do is to start out slow in a mid gear and then speed up after a few minutes but don't shift. I end up spinning but with very little effort. After 5-10 I'm good to go without hurting myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.