Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I find that I will be coming to the Quad Cities area, and I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I should be able to bring one of my toys with me. I have a roadbike, an FS mountain bike and a singlespeed mountain bike, but I am not sure which to bring with me. I came across the Loud Thunder trail system online and it looks pretty interesting.

What I am seeking advice for is this: Would this park be enough "entertainment" for me for two weeks? And if I bring a mountain bike, is it a good place to Singlespeed? If not, I guess I could bring the road bike.

Thanks!

J

·
ICORR - FORC
269 Posts
LT isn't a great place for SS due to some pretty steep climbs, it's a knee-buster. It's also about a 50 minute drive from the QC, if you're up to driving that far, then you should consider checking out Sugar Bottom near Iowa City (1hr 15min) and/or Jubilee St. Park near Brimfield, IL (both good SS choices). There are also some new trails being built in Davenport (Sunderbrach Park) that are good for SS, as well as Sylvan Island which is decent though rather small. I'd say between these choices you should be plenty entertained for 2 weeks. When are you planning to be in the area?

btw, road riding on the Illinois side is pretty decent around here as well.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QCRage,
Thank you for the advice. I just started SS'ing here in NJ. I am keeping to the easy parks right now with that because it is a lot harder in some respects than geared bikes. Very different and fun -- not giving up my FS, though. :)

I will be coming out Tuesday next week. I have business at Rock Island Arsenal -- will probably be working a bunch there. I am traveling with 4 other folks (none of them ride) -- one of them is driving and can take one of my bikes (which is nice).

I just don't want to give up two weeks of riding while eating out every night. Unfortunately, we have to share a rental car, so I don't know if driving too far out of town to a park would be an available choice. I think I am leaning toward the road bike so I can leave from the hotel (the Lodge at Davenport) and get in some riding.

I am doing a 24 Hour Race in NJ next month (no danger of winning, that is for sure) and I would like to be at least respectable in it -- like not leave my lungs trailside because I was pigging out on travel. :)

Any recommendations on local bike shops?

Thanks again,
Joe

·
ICORR - FORC
269 Posts
There are a couple of area shops, I prefer Healthy Habits in Bettendorf (close to the Lodge as well). http://healthyhabitsqc.com/index.cfm

The Lodge is pretty close to Duck Creek Bike Path, passes through both Davenport and Bettendorf on the Iowa side. Unfortunately it's kind of a pain to get to the Illinois side from there, can only cross the river on the Arsenal and Centennial bridges which aren't very convenient. If you're interested in getting "time-in-the-saddle" before your race, then the road bike is probably the way to go. However, Sunderbrach Park and Sylvan Island are still quite accessible from the Lodge if you'd like more technical riding.

I'll PM you my email address, drop me a line when you get into town and I'll fill you in on the scoop.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Blackhawk state park and a secret place I know

Blackhawk state park was a good place to ride way back in 94-95 but i no longer live in IL. and am not sure if you can still ride those trails anymore. There is a secret spot i used to ride behind the loma linda housing complex in east moline with some good trails made by 3 and 4 wheelers.There is a HUGE scarry hill to go down but you have to climb back up carrying your bike. If you enter the housing complex do directly to the back and unload ride farther back and cross a small creek then have at it. It is back there. If you find a very steep hill way back you can go down but dont go over the bars you will hit bottom before you feel dirt again. It is about an 80ft drop with a tree directly in the path at the bottom so beware. You could also ride the trails along the canal in colona.

·
Registered
170 Posts
how many people on here are from the QC area? i actually grew up in moline, but i didn't start getting into biking until this year, unfortunately, and i'm gone in chicago most of the year for school.
but when i am home, if any of you guys would want to go riding, maybe we can exchange contact info. i haven't been to sylvan island or any trails in the qc area, but i'd like to go sometime.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hearing about sylvan island or sylvan slough as i call it. Brings back memories of when i used to fish there at night. Can you say devil worshipers? There are pentagrams all over there made out of rocks and fires burned in the middle. Not to mention some crack a$$ poppin off at the mouth and started crap with a friend i was with. Turns out the crack a$$ got thrown against a tree and choked out by my buddy. Look for the underground tunnels on that island. They are kind of spooky. We used to play capture the flag there and had a blast when we werent getting crap from others. While MTB'ing with a group on the back side of the island we saw a guy and a chick get it on in a boat as soon as they went down out of sight we all let out some whoop and hollers and soon we saw a middle finger stretching towards the sky pointing at us. We all lost it and got moving again. It was hilarious.

·
ICORR - FORC
269 Posts
aznsap said:
how many people on here are from the QC area? ... when i am home, if any of you guys would want to go riding, maybe we can exchange contact info.
Check out the local mtn bike club rides at www.qcforc.org Thursdays are scheduled rides, and there are usually some pick-up rides that show up in the forum pretty regularly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.