Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finding increasing numbers of riders starting blogs. I have found blogs to be almost as useful for various training tips/parts reviews as mtbr itself. Not being one to be last to the party I decided that I too really want to start a blog and share my thoughts in a broader forum (no pun intended) than just mtbr threads.

Where does one learn to start a blog? I am not very computer savvy but am considering taking a junior college class to help out...what class would i take?

I really want to get my blog up an running as soon as possible since I will have much to talk about next year I hope in terms of biking, racing, etc.

I am pretty sure that people want to hear what i say since after all, i have more posts than most people which generally correlates with bike knowledge in a positive manner

Also, for planning purposes, are password-protected blogs a good idea? I would worry about not having control of users able to access the blog but perhaps this is not worth the extra effort?

Thanks in advance

·
Category Winner
6,142 Posts
FoShizzle said:
Thanks in advance
You can set up a blog in an afternoon.

It's so easy that even I was able to do it. Granted I'm still learning stuff (like linkable logos on my sidebar... just this evening after almost three years of blogging). I use blog.com, but most folks like blogspot.com which is part of the evil google empire.

It really is dead simple. They make them for morons like me. If you're smart enough to post a photo on MTBR you can do it for sure.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aquaholic said:
Eff that, Fo. You need to think big. Have you ever aspired to being a moderator on a SoCal mountain bike forum?
yes, i believe a blog is a prerequisite. my application as STR moderator is currently in review and they are doing the necessary background check as i type this

·
i don't give a shift
863 Posts
Wordpress is easy to get going. If you have a webhost already that runs PHP and MySQL, you should be able to install Wordpress in a few minutes. There are tons of addons for it, plugins to extend it and themes to change the look of it.

Or start a Tumblelog if you don't need a full-fledged blog. Ideal for short-form, mixed-media posts. No need to deal with installing anything. Tumblr hosts it for you.

·
Category Winner
6,142 Posts
20.100 FR said:
It's still incredible that some people are taking you seriously..

What about your blog describing you giving up internet for real life (and real ridding ) ? ;-)
I knew I was taking a risk when I went with serious advice for Fo.
I went out on the limb, and thought maybe, just maybe he does want to start a blog.....

It was late last night, and obviously I wasn't thinking clearly.

I feel like a girl who woke up the morning after prom with a bad headache, and I can't find my dress.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
teamdicky said:
I knew I was taking a risk when I went with serious advice for Fo.
I went out on the limb, and thought maybe, just maybe he does want to start a blog.....

It was late last night, and obviously I wasn't thinking clearly.

I feel like a girl who woke up the morning after prom with a bad headache, and I can't find my dress.
teamdicky, while i appreciate your belief in the human race; that people should be given the benefit of the doubt however, i am more dissapointed that YOU would consider giving me such consideration. As such, you will not be granted password access to my blahg

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
highroller said:
Post count correlates with bike knowledge?
yes. you wouldnt understand at only 280 posts but I assure you that when you spend as much time as i do on mtbr, reading as many posts and contributing as much as i do, that its a direct consequence that one's knowledge of all things bikes increases accordingly. this also does not take into consideration the time one takes to read biking blogs to add to that cummulative experience.

i am not saying i am the most knowledgeable person on mtbr because of it, but definitely Top 10 or so.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.