Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.

I've been thinking about the azonic 454 crankset, with their BB and spindle.
I've searched for info about the BB but I couldn't find anything, what kind of BB is it really?
From the pictures I've seen it doesn't really look like an ISIS and sure as hell not an octalink.
Is it some azonic standard or what?

Last question: go Saint or 454?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EvelMtber said:
Yes, it is an Azonic standard.
If you consider Saint, also check out Race Face offerings, I hear they have a better bearing set-up.
i can't find any race face crankset that comes with a bb. add a ring and bb and it'll be quite expensive.
the saint seems really cheap considering that you get ring and bb in one package.

·
Registered
148 Posts
tiohan_depli said:
i can't find any race face crankset that comes with a bb. add a ring and bb and it'll be quite expensive.
the saint seems really cheap considering that you get ring and bb in one package.
The Atlas, Deus, and Diabolus RaceFace cranks are all 2-piece, like Saint or XTR, and include an external race BB. They are priced nearly identical to Saints. I wouldn't call any of the 2-piece crank options on the market "cheap" though. $300+ is a lot of bones. That's more expensive than Eno's with a Phil Wood BB (for the dainty) or euro Profile's w/ a ti spindle and a quality chainwheel (for the mashers, and my personal set up.) Also, the Azonic cranks don't come with a "bottom bracket" in the traditional mtb sense, they are just generic 3-piece cranks similar to Profiles, which use floating (steel) spindles with 2 bearing cups and some fixing bolts.

P.S. Saint and Azonic's are a LOT of crank....are you sure you need it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a nice cake said:
The Atlas, Deus, and Diabolus RaceFace cranks are all 2-piece, like Saint or XTR, and include an external race BB. They are priced nearly identical to Saints. I wouldn't call any of the 2-piece crank options on the market "cheap" though. $300+ is a lot of bones. That's more expensive than Eno's with a Phil Wood BB (for the dainty) or euro Profile's w/ a ti spindle and a quality chainwheel (for the mashers, and my personal set up.) Also, the Azonic cranks don't come with a "bottom bracket" in the traditional mtb sense, they are just generic 3-piece cranks similar to Profiles, which use floating (steel) spindles with 2 bearing cups and some fixing bolts.

P.S. Saint and Azonic's are a LOT of crank....are you sure you need it?
Sure they are a lot of crank, but i really don't think they're that expensive, quite normal I'd say.
The single chainwheel saint is like 230 here, and for a full kit with bb cranks and chainring I think that's fair. Not even XT/LX or deore would be cheaper because I'd have to get a new BB and a new chainring w/ 38T.
I've seen some other stuff on chainreactioncycles but no matter how I mix and match bb's and arms and chainrings it always sums up to the cost of a set of saint.

Unless I've missed a complete set of quality cranks for a fair bit less than $230 I won't calll the saint expensive. On the other hand, if I have I'd be happy if you tell me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
a nice cake said:
Odd, the Saint's are remarkably unexpensive at 130 quid. They are much more expensive in the US. If you can get them that cheap, I say go for it!
Is 130 GBP really inexpensive (I mean below normal)? chainreaction and cyclecomponents.com both sell them for basically that amount. jenson is a bit more expensive at 155, but still not that big of a difference.

I'm gonna surf around to get some more info about them before I make up my mind though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BMX Standard

Yeah, I am pretty sure the bb is bmx standard. I am going to use prfile bmx cranks I think, because they are strong as hell, and chainline adjustment is a cinch. Just make sure you get the euro version.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.