Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, bought this for 40$. I think i made quite a deal, but when i examined it i noticed some surfacerust around the ventholes. Removing the rubberplugs and flashing a light in there reveals more rust, not sure how deep it goes. Safe to ride or should this be my shelfornament? Can i WD40 this in a vain effort to hinder the rusts lebensland or is it simply to late? I have to admit that the rust around the holes look like the top of the iceberg... Feels like there is more in there...
Also, is this a Switchblade? There is no sticker on the crown where it should be and the logos are not stickers, they appear to be under a clearcoat or something. Running a finger over them reveals no edge. Completely flat.
Any and all info is appreciated. Oh, and tomorrow i`ll get a pair of NOS Bontrager forks! More pics then.

Attachments

·
VRC Illuminati
17,637 Posts
erol/frost said:
Hi, bought this for 40$. I think i made quite a deal, but when i examined it i noticed some surfacerust around the ventholes. Removing the rubberplugs and flashing a light in there reveals more rust, not sure how deep it goes. Safe to ride or should this be my shelfornament? Can i WD40 this in a vain effort to hinder the rusts lebensland or is it simply to late? I have to admit that the rust around the holes look like the top of the iceberg... Feels like there is more in there...
Also, is this a Switchblade? There is no sticker on the crown where it should be and the logos are not stickers, they appear to be under a clearcoat or something. Running a finger over them reveals no edge. Completely flat.
Any and all info is appreciated. Oh, and tomorrow i`ll get a pair of NOS Bontrager forks! More pics then.
Looks like a Switchblade to me. $40 is an ok deal on the fork. Good if it's a 1".

They're pretty thick, sturdy forks...unless the rust is real bad, I don't think you have much to worry about.

NOS Bontrager forks....now we're talkin! :D

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
Yep, first generation Switchblade. The nicer of the several versions too. In later years, they cut costs by not having a Prestige leg. I believe that logo on the legs is etched, not a decal. I have an identical set with more surface rust than that and they've never failed me. I'd say it has many, many years left. A fair and decent price too - I've seen the 1" go for twice that if the steerer is long. Good find.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Rumpfy. Yeah, i think that i`ll be safe as long as i don´t pull any NS-tricks on it. Just want to build up something lightweight and with a heritage and i think i`ll use this or the Bonty. BTW, are they called Race-Lites or Race like his frames? The Bonty is constructed like this Tange with a separate crown and bolted-on legs. More pics tomorrow!

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
erol/frost said:
Hi Rumpfy. Yeah, i think that i`ll be safe as long as i don´t pull any NS-tricks on it. Just want to build up something lightweight and with a heritage and i think i`ll use this or the Bonty. BTW, are they called Race-Lites or Race like his frames? The Bonty is constructed like this Tange with a separate crown and bolted-on legs. More pics tomorrow!
Bonty forks are called either Race or Comp - there are two models. Post a pic when you get it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.