Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a used Chameleon at a local "discount" store for all types of items. It has the Santa Cruz spec printout with it, but I did not look close.

It looks to be a 2004 model.
2004 Z1 FR (QR)
Hope 4pot discs with 8' goth rotors
Hope disc hubs laced to Intense DH rims
Hope seat collar
Hope QR's
King headset
RF DH cranks
RF BB
XT shifters
XT front mech.
XTR rear
XT cassette
Azonic stem, world force bar
ODI's
Maxxis Holey Rollers in decent shape
Thompson Post (looks new)
Generic Azonic clone Flats

The entire bike looks like it has seen few miles, and I know what I am looking for. I listed the parts spec from a 2 min glance.

What do you think it is worth? I am not very up on the pricing of used frames and forks, as I work with the new stuff full time. Any hints? I know the retail on most of the parts, and I want to be sure.....

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
damion said:
I saw a used Chameleon at a local "discount" store for all types of items. It has the Santa Cruz spec printout with it, but I did not look close.

2004 Z1 FR (QR)
Hope seat collar
Hope QR's
King headset
RF DH cranks
RF BB
XT shifters
XT front mech.
XTR rear
XT cassette
ODI's

The entire bike looks like it has seen few miles, and I know what I am looking for. I listed the parts spec from a 2 min glance.

What do you think it is worth? I am not very up on the pricing of used frames and forks, as I work with the new stuff full time. Any hints? I know the retail on most of the parts, and I want to be sure.....
rule of thumb? half the new msrp. add it all up as new, divide by two and there's your starting point. your negotiation skills, and overall musthaveitedness will determine the final price. Good luck, great bike.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hm... I'd say... about $1300? My friend got his 04 Chameleon off mtbr.com classifieds for $940 shipped, and it had an 03 Z1 FR with avid mechs, king headset, xt/rhynolite wheels, truvativ crankset, xt rear derailleur, deore fr and shifters, and ritchey bits. This one has a nicer drivetrain, nicer brakes and a newer fork. Sounds like yours is quite a bit heavier though with the Intense DH wheels and RF DH cranks, but if that's how you like it built and you're gonna do more FR/lightDH stuff then that's a great setup.

damion said:

2004 Z1 FR (QR)
Hope seat collar
Hope QR's
King headset
RF DH cranks
RF BB
XT shifters
XT front mech.
XTR rear
XT cassette
ODI's

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
damion said:

2004 Z1 FR (QR)
Hope seat collar
Hope QR's
King headset
RF DH cranks
RF BB
XT shifters
XT front mech.
XTR rear
XT cassette
ODI's

That is not a SC spec'd bike, at least not the wheels.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Honestly, if a bike of that spec is in a 'discount' store, I would be more inclined to think the bike is stolen....maybe you could get the serial and see if it was reported by a fellow rider..Good karma will follow.......

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I asked.

dankilling said:
Honestly, if a bike of that spec is in a 'discount' store, I would be more inclined to think the bike is stolen....maybe you could get the serial and see if it was reported by a fellow rider..Good karma will follow.......
THe Local "discount" store is a actually a very reputable outfit. A chain of 4 even. The owner is an avid cyclist, and he makes sure to check that sort of stuff. I saw the SC printout for the bike, as it was with it. ( I did not look at the wheels on the sheet) Generally, thieves are not going to provide that kind of info.

Thanks for the info guys. Now all I have to do is convince the wife that I can sell the fork, frame, wheels and drivetrain for the $1000 that it will take to get the bike. I really want the HOPE brakes for my Gemini.

·
Registered
303 Posts
damion said:
THe Local "discount" store is a actually a very reputable outfit. A chain of 4 even. The owner is an avid cyclist, and he makes sure to check that sort of stuff. I saw the SC printout for the bike, as it was with it. ( I did not look at the wheels on the sheet) Generally, thieves are not going to provide that kind of info.

Thanks for the info guys. Now all I have to do is convince the wife that I can sell the fork, frame, wheels and drivetrain for the $1000 that it will take to get the bike. I really want the HOPE brakes for my Gemini.
Ah... so you're going to part the bike out. What color and size is the frame btw?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Around a 19.

synkronized23 said:
Ah... so you're going to part the bike out. What color and size is the frame btw?
It was in a window, so I have not stood along side it yet.

I have been looking at some other SC bikes, and I think it is Trans Red. I will go take some photos and check it out further.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.