Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm buying a Manitou Sherman Firefly Plus for my K2 flyin' monkey and I don't know whether to buy the thru-axle or QR. I'll be doing freeride and downhill riding. What do you guys suggest? Also, I plan on riding the bike in college next year, so a QR would have to be locked onto any bike rack I use while maybe a thru-axle would not be? Either way, what do you guys use/suggest? Thanks

Chris

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
I have a TA firefly. Nice and stiff. I've had not problems with my fork but the SPV sucks so it's not a great riding fork. I miss my Fox. I would buy a Flick over a Firefly if I were you so you'll get TPC dampening. Or just get a Marz or a Travis 150.

·
...for I am a raindog too
267 Posts
what's your front hub?

Unless you want to buy a new hub/wheel, get what ever is compatible with your current setup. If you don't mind shelling out the coin for a 20mm hub/wheel (presuming you don't already have one...) get the thru axle-- much stiffer.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Devolve your SPV, it'll behave more like TPC. It involves removing the spring from the checkvalve. Or you can make it more like SPV Evolve by leaving the spring in and drilling a hole in the checkvalve.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
gold3nrul3 said:
Hey, I'm buying a Manitou Sherman Firefly Plus for my K2 flyin' monkey and I don't know whether to buy the thru-axle or QR. I'll be doing freeride and downhill riding. What do you guys suggest? Also, I plan on riding the bike in college next year, so a QR would have to be locked onto any bike rack I use while maybe a thru-axle would not be? Either way, what do you guys use/suggest? Thanks

Chris
don't do it ...............Manitou sucks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I didn't realize that I have a shimano deore hub... QR.
And they already shipped the thru axle fork.

I'll either return it through the mail for a QR fork or get a new hub.
But a new hub would have to be put on the wheel and that's even more $$.
There's no such thing as a QR axle adapter to put the wheel on a 20MM fork?

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
gold3nrul3 said:
Well, I didn't realize that I have a shimano deore hub... QR.
And they already shipped the thru axle fork.

I'll either return it through the mail for a QR fork or get a new hub.
But a new hub would have to be put on the wheel and that's even more $$.
There's no such thing as a QR axle adapter to put the wheel on a 20MM fork?
Buy a new hub & have the wheel rebuilt. Check the LBS they may have a deal lying around on a old wheel collecting dust. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.