Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
burnedthetoast
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Redline Monocog 29'er and a set of Mavic 29'er wheels that I'd like to put on it. The wheels originally came with QR skewers, which is fine for the front but I'd like to convert the rear to bolt-on so I don't need to worry as much about slippage.

The questions: would something like this work for what I want to do? If so, how long do I need it to be (and is the stated length the total length, or the space between dropouts)? Also, it looks like the threads extend pretty far in - will this be a problem with my current hub (I think it's Deore, not singlespeed specific)?

Any other suggestions (besides using tuggnut or equivalent)?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
that looks like the correct axle type for a Shimano hub. Not sure about the length though. I think more searching on this forum might lead you to some people who have converted Deore or XT hubs before.

Any reason you won't consider a tuggnut? I've run a QR skewer with a tuggnut for over a year now and never had any slipping. It works especially well now that I bought a Shimano skewer, but it worked without a problem back when I had an inferior generic skewer as well.

·
burnedthetoast
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boomn - Do you use tuggnut on both sides or only 1 side?

I'm less inclined to that avenue since it's more expensive and involves more parts. I'm not completely opposed though.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
burnedthetoast said:
boomn - Do you use tuggnut on both sides or only 1 side?

I'm less inclined to that avenue since it's more expensive and involves more parts. I'm not completely opposed though.
I just on the drive side right now. A Surly Tuggnut costs ~$25 for everything and it is installed in 30 seconds without removing anything but the skewer. Also, this mtbr forum member makes a good tuggnut replacement that is $20 for a pair and they come in different colors

The axle may be cheaper (looks like ~$10 for the correct one) but you still have to disassemble the entire hub to replace the axle or pay a shop to do it. That options seems more expensive in time/money to me. However, a bolt-on setup is very nice and can be worth it if that is what you prefer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts