Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding a hybrid bike and must have misplaced the rear 135mm QR skewer. There is a chance it will re-appear... but to proceed I better buy a new one.
I saw brand name ones cost $15 or more. Wow. but also found a pair for $3 on ebay.

I assume there is some weight advantage with the more expensive ones, or why are they so expensive? It seems for double the price i get a brand name cup/cone rear hub that comes with the skewer.

Is it dangerous to use a cheap one? I mean, can it break so my wheel comes lose? I can imagine inferior metallurgy can make the rod tear apart.

As I said, it is for a hybrid. So it won't experience MTB abuse.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
They don't look any different from the crap that comes on cheap bikes, so probably won't work any better, either.

Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap pair of Shimano or Joytech closed-cam (ie, steel) skewers. They work far and above better than the open cam type.

If you must have open cam skewers, Hope uses a metal (brass) bushing, which is about as good as they get...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They don't look any different from the crap that comes on cheap bikes, so probably won't work any better, either.

Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap pair of Shimano or Joytech closed-cam (ie, steel) skewers. They work far and above better than the open cam type.

If you must have open cam skewers, Hope uses a metal (brass) bushing, which is about as good as they get...
I had to look up what open and closed cam types are. It seems all my bikes have the cheaper open type. So I'm not too concerned about this aspect of the design. My question was more about if the material and machining is good enough to not break. I imagine the rod could year apart... but have no idea if that is a real issue at all.

This is a bike I build up to use up my part bin. Maybe I ride it as tertiary bike, or sell it. So no need for fancy things..... but should be safe.

Is it safe to assume those skewers are at least as good as lower tier QR bikes (like a $300 Dicks bike for example)

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I imagine the rod could year apart... but have no idea if that is a real issue at all.
I've done it, (twice lol) but it was totally user error because i torqued the hell out of it. Horizontal dropouts.

You can get used-but-perfect XT/ultegra skewers for like 5-6$ each, and they're the best thing on the market. Makes it an easy decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.