Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spare wheelset I want to convert for road use/commute which are quick release, however my 2011 fox talas 32 is thru axle. Is there any type of conversion kit I can get? It's a spare set so I'm not that bothered about weight etc. just wondering if it's possible?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
What gear are you running
1,625 Posts
I have a spare wheelset I want to convert for road use/commute which are quick release, however my 2011 fox talas 32 is thru axle. Is there any type of conversion kit I can get? It's a spare set so I'm not that bothered about weight etc. just wondering if it's possible?

Cheers

Depends 100% on what type of Hubs you have. A lot of the newer hubs have adapters that you put on the hubs and they can be setup for regular qr, 15 and 20 mm thru axle. I have Hope hubs and have converted the front to 15mm thru-axle and have ordered the kit to do the rear to 12mm (frame has paragon sliders and I just ordered the thru axle sliders also.

So, post up what kind of front hub you have...

Edit: For hope hubs it was as easy as this: Hope Pro 2/ Evo Front Hub Conversion Kit > Components > Wheel Goods > Hub Small Parts | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Also, I would assume your fork is 15mm thru axle. 20mm are also out there but are mainly on longer travel DH forks.

·
What gear are you running
1,625 Posts
Looks like you may be in luck... I would check with your local shop, or contact Mavic to see if an adapter kit is available for your specific hubs, but it looks like there is a kit available...

Tech Tuesday - Converting Mavic Crossmax SX Axles - Pinkbike

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/2012-mavic-crossride-disc-9mm-15mm-789330.html

Could possibly be as easy as this:

"The 9mm end cap is seated inside of the 15mm axle. You can use the QR skewer and a rubber mallet to punch the cap out from the inside. That is all you have to do. Nice of Mavic to provide this basic info with the wheel or on their website(sarcasm)."

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could possibly be as easy as this:

"The 9mm end cap is seated inside of the 15mm axle. You can use the QR skewer and a rubber mallet to punch the cap out from the inside. That is all you have to do. Nice of Mavic to provide this basic info with the wheel or on their website(sarcasm)."
so literally just poke out the qr end caps?

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You have questioned the several straight answers that have already been given.
a one word answer does not suffice to what i was looking for. you told me the end caps already in the hub, i knew that, i was referring to the 15mm ones that may need to replace them. was looking for an explanation so i could understand what i was looking for as do most people. if i answer someone i tend to elaborate. you did not answer the direct question i had, but the one about end caps. your answers also seemed wise ass, if they were as so then thats not really called for is it.

i appreciate your time answering what you did however. thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.