Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I've done it successfully without a tug type tensioner. If the hub has a steel serrated axle ends (like XT or LX) and you use an old all-steel QR skewer, like the old Shimano ones - the new ones have aluminium heads which don't bite as well. The old steel QR system was designed to hold a rear wheel in those forward slotted dropout where you could adjust your wheel position.

·
Registered
663 Posts
on my fixie conversion roadie ive got some old Shimano "crank me down tight" QRs on the horizontal drops with no problems.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I tried the Surly Tuggnut with the little add in washer for QR's. I used the setup with a XT Disc rear hub and XT steel toothed QR. This setup worked fine for about 6 miles, then came loose constantly. The QR bolt actually deformed and started to bend near the little washer part. I was able to finish my rides over the next two days ok, but I felt the need to check tension often. I'm 215lbs and was running a very low gear(32x20 in the hills of NC) at the time, which might have helped cause this issue.

I use a bolt on axle now, it never slips.

MC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts