Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a clyde (230lbs) who puts in big miles and high torque and my go to riding is grail - gravel to trails. I like to link up trail systems via gravel for 100+ mile daytrips but I'm getting all geared up to start doing overnighters.

I've chewed up lots of rear hubs over the years. My bike is a 2018 Kona Unit X. Which has quick release dropouts. I run the stock WTB 27.5 wheelset with midfat tires (usually ~2.8) in the Spring and then usually a 29er set of wheels/tires with 2.4's the rest of the season. I've been rotating through a few old wheelsets, but they are all nearing the end of their service life and the ones with the widest rims are 23mm which is at the narrow end for 2.4's. I ride technical trails and do end up denting my rims a fair bit. I have some 2.6 Mezcals on the way that I look forward to running.

I want a reliable quick release wheelset with wide rims, about 30 mm, to run 29x 2.4-2.8 tires.

Are there any wheelset/hubs are out there that are readily available, non-boost and that I can retrofit to quick release?

If there are no options, I'm comfortable with wheel-building. What quick release hubs should I be looking at that are readily available and preferably, forward compatible?

Push comes to shove, I could convert my bike to through axle, though it would still be non-boost, but then I'd lose the use of my 27.5+ wheelset.

Thanks!

·
This place needs an enema
17,702 Posts
DT 350's for sure. I build 'em frequently for people by using the 15 x 100 front hub and installing a QR adapter sleeve. Covers you for QR now, covers you for 15mm, easily and tool-free, down the road.

I ran 29 x 2.6" Mezcal's last year on 30's, 32's, and 36's. Preferred 30's by far.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As others have said... DT Swiss is the way to go.

I also have a non-boost XC bike (QR front) and built myself some 30mm IW wheels with DT parts - XM481 rims, aero comp spokes and 350 SP hubs. They're a dream to ride with my 2.25 XC tyres and totally bomber. The front QR fork I use with a Nukeproof adaptor axle to run the thru axle 15x100 hubs.

I looked at buying a wheelset but noticed that DT don't offer their 1500 or 1700 series with non-boost (and I didn't want the 'shitty' 370 hub with the 1900s) so ended up building my own. Maybe I missed the boat on using different end caps, but I am glad I built mine as it was very straightforward and much cheaper than buying a full wheelset of the same quality.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, you folks have me sold with the consensus on DT 350 hubs, but where can I actually find these. Stock is low or non existent everywhere I look, especially for non-boost. My fallback is Hopes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.