Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a wheelset which I believe came from a 2007 Monocog 29er. It has a solid axle, but I prefer to use a quick release so I can more readily shift my dingle. I have managed to put a Shimano axle in there, but it leaves a little play. The solid axle that came out has a slightly thicker diameter in the middle to brace the cartridge bearings, while the Shimano does not.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a source for a hollow axle with the same cartridge-specific middle section as the stock axle?

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
I went through this about four months ago. The only real fix is a QR axle from a Redline Flight wheelset. I was able to get one from Redline for not much $$, but they were very reluctant to help me as I think they had to strip a hub to get the axle; the LBS said mine was "defective" ;)

The real issue is finding the right size QR axle that has the flanges to hold the axle in place relative to the bearing. I considered talking with Surly, they might have something that'll work.

FYI, QR's do move, even with tug nuts, so maybe it's not worth the trouble since wheel removal still requires taking the QR apart, etc...

You could also try gutting a similar QR hub and using the bearing and axle in your wheel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts