Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,
I'm a big guy, at 6'4", and 240 lbs. I'm in the market for a 29" geared steel trailbike to compliment my road-going single speed Cook Brothers 29er and my Ellsworth Isis trailbike.

I am looking hard at the QBall and the Moncog Flight 29er. I'm leaning towards the Qball because it's made in the USA and looks really nice.

Are there any clydesdale type people out there who have had positive or negative experiences with either of these frames? I'm not a super aggessive free-rider, but have bent more than my share of wheels, seatposts, crankarms and frames, mainly during g-outs, and out of shape jump landings. Most bikes just aren't built for big guys. I need a durable frame.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Q-Ball

I rode one of his Ti frames all last year and I weigh about 185. No problems at all, so I can attest to his craftmanship. He's also a super cool dude and really easy to work with. He'll stand behind his product as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Check out my postings under the flight thread on here.

The issue i had sucked and i kind of don't trust the flight for me and i am 230 lbs, then again 3% of the people riding the flights have had the same issue that i did, so maybe your situation would be different.. All i can speak from is experience. So my vote would be anything without frame sliders, which would include the qball.

HTH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I am 260 lbs and ride a stock QBall set up SS. I spend a lot of time standing for the climbs here in Southern Cal and put an incredible amount of torque on frames. I just took the parts off a Niner One9 that couldn't handle my load without twisting the rear end and rubbing tires. Now that the QBall is setup again I realize what a great frame it is. I can say that it is heavier but I don't notice it with my weight. BTW, the geometry is spot on, It has a quicker feel to it than the Niner did. Also, I am not bashing Niner at all as they are wonderful frames, it just didn't work out well for my situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
I'd go with the Q-ball without hesitation. I've got a forthcoming Quiring road bike, and Scott Quiring has been great to deal with and stands behind his product 110%. Case in point, my frame was already delivered and looked great, but I had some clearance issue with the new Campy Ultratorque cranks. I didn't like the solution of crimping the stays so he offered to build me a new frame and apologized that the first one hadn't worked out for me. End result, when I want a new geared only 29r, I know who I'll be calling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Simonster said:
I rode one of his Ti frames all last year and I weigh about 185. No problems at all, so I can attest to his craftmanship. He's also a super cool dude and really easy to work with. He'll stand behind his product as well.
The Simonster knows !!!!!!!!! This kid aint No powder puff altitude midget where talking 100% Detroit deisel power plant here.... 6' 180lbs of power/torque and VO2 max..... The Simonster takes full advantage of the Big wheels and big gears !!!!.....

Q Ball american made goodness and beauty :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

·
Professional lurker
Joined
·
218 Posts
I've built several Qballs for ultra clydes (one in excess of 300lbs...loves it). I can't say enough good things about the quality of Quirings "stock" frames.

I talked to him on Wednesday, he had just received a fresh load of "stock" chrome moly from Italy :)thumbsup: :cornut:) to build more Qballs. As of then, he was out of Mediums.

Incredible value for a "stock" frame with "Stock" tubing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Farmer_John said:
I've built several Qballs for ultra clydes (one in excess of 300lbs...loves it). I can't say enough good things about the quality of Quirings "stock" frames.....he had just received a fresh load of "stock" chrome moly from Italy to build more Qballs.
Clydesdale tough, fancy eyetallion tubing, sexy tapered seatstays, made in USA by a friendly, communicative builder, tuff black paintjob, versatile setup.....how can I go wrong.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I'm going to roll with the QBall. I'll send pictures after the buildup, Ive already got a set of Profile cranks, Tompson stem, and Broooks seat, what shall I do for wheels & fork...would the White Bros fork be a good fit on the Qball?
 

·
Professional lurker
Joined
·
218 Posts
eggmasterduke said:
Clydesdale tough, fancy eyetallion tubing, sexy tapered seatstays, made in USA by a friendly, communicative builder, tuff black paintjob, versatile setup.....how can I go wrong.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I'm going to roll with the QBall. I'll send pictures after the buildup, Ive already got a set of Profile cranks, Tompson stem, and Broooks seat, what shall I do for wheels & fork...would the White Bros fork be a good fit on the Qball?
If you are going to order directly from Scott, he handles White Bros. Yeah, good match, though Rebas clear.

As far as Wheels, geared or SS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I agree that the build is a work of art as far as the nice tapered stays and small diameter tubing, a nice change from the other offerings. Ditto on the tough paint, I had sweat, dirt, mud, and probably a few teardrops from some of the nasty climbs around here and it cleans up like new again, very shiny.
As for wheels my Hadley/Stan's ZTR have been bullet proof! THe only thing I need to add is a Carbon bar, tried the JJ Hbar but it isn't for me. I thought I'd add that another difference I noticed from the Niner One9 was that it absorbs shock well without springing you up on the rebound. It's more like Ti in that way-just my $.02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
If you want a rigid fork, there is the Q-stick fork from Quiring as an option, but the fork I've got on my rigid 29 SS has been great I think. It's a Salsa CroMoto Grande. I switched from a Karate Monkey fork to the Salsa and it's like a whole new world. So much more compliant and forgiving, without giving up hardly anything in steering precision. It's also about a 1/2 lb. lighter than a KM fork. Plus it comes in black so it would match the Q-ball well.

edit: I thought you were referring to the new Carbon rigid fork from White Bros. If you're looking for a suspension fork, disregard my post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm definitely looking for a suspension fork, not rigid. I damaged my shoulder badly 3 years ago when a 16 year old driver spun out onto the highway in front of me and my Ducati bevel 900ss..........the bike is now reborn better than ever, but my shoulder stilll needs a suspension fork to take the edge off.

As far as gearing, I'm thinking of using the single ring Profile crankset that I already have, and putting a nine speed speed in back, shifted by an X9 or XO. The Bontrager racelite wheelsets are selling on eBizzle for $200, but are they bombproof enough? I was thinking of maybejust lacing sun ringle hubs and rhyno lite rims......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Are you wanting to run discs or vee's? (You might have mentioned earlier but I missed it)

If you want discs, I think Speedgoat had a great deal on a set of XT centerlock hubs on Salsa Delgado discs for ~$250. Good wide rims and XT hubs are pretty bombproof. Plus the Speedgoat guys are good people.

If you want V's - I've got a set of XT hubs on Salsa Delgado-X's 32h that I built last year that I've been pleased with, especially for the $$/performance/weight ratio.

For your weight I'd probably opt for a 36h setup to add a little more stiffness and strength.
 

·
Professional lurker
Joined
·
218 Posts
TACSTS said:
Are you wanting to run discs or vee's? (You might have mentioned earlier but I missed it)

If you want discs, I think Speedgoat had a great deal on a set of XT centerlock hubs on Salsa Delgado discs for ~$250. Good wide rims and XT hubs are pretty bombproof. Plus the Speedgoat guys are good people.

If you want V's - I've got a set of XT hubs on Salsa Delgado-X's 32h that I built last year that I've been pleased with, especially for the $$/performance/weight ratio.

For your weight I'd probably opt for a 36h setup to add a little more stiffness and strength.
Qballs are disc only.

I also recommend running a chain tug, at least on the drive side if you're going to use a quick release hub. Scott recommends using a chainring bolt at the bottom of the drive side to set the proper alignment, but I have had instances where the wheel will cock under severe torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
I have heard that the q-stick fork is a little too stiff. The cost is good at $100 but scott does do custom 29r forks -- I think they are 150 or 175 -- from what I am told -- money well spent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Farmer_John said:
Qballs are disc only.

I also recommend running a chain tug, at least on the drive side if you're going to use a quick release hub. Scott recommends using a chainring bolt at the bottom of the drive side to set the proper alignment, but I have had instances where the wheel will cock under severe torque.
Farmer John, can you post a close-up picture of this setup. I have read a few mentions of it, but I cannot visualize putting a chainring bolt at the bottom of the drive side. I need to see it.
Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top