Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some insight between the snakeskin and the supergravity. Is the supergravity a bit of an overkill or can one get away with just the snakeskin. Between the two there is "about" 2lb difference per set of tires. So wondering if anyone has any experience between them. Also if the supergravity is not that bad of a tire to be pedaling around.
Oh and I'm in AZ, Phoenix where majority of my riding is done on chunky, sharp rocks.
Thanks in advance.

PS. tried looking for a review between the both with no luck.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Super gravity is the toughest casing they make, mostly its simaler to a DH tire. Stiffer, heavier and more robust than the snakeskin. I ride a Snakeskin and have had no issues with it in our rocky rooted terrain on the east coast.

Schwalbe // Super Gravity

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, curious did or does the SS hold up to agressive riding and won't wobble over like a normal single ply would with out having to run such high pressures.

Super gravity is the toughest casing they make, mostly its simaler to a DH tire. Stiffer, heavier and more robust than the snakeskin. I ride a Snakeskin and have had no issues with it in our rocky rooted terrain on the east coast.

Schwalbe // Super Gravity

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I only run one in front but I havent had issue running 28psi and I weigh in around 250lbs ready to ride. My experience is also on wider rims though. I've only used the Fat Albert 2.4 on 28mm+ internal rims.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,317 Posts
Colin did not like the snakeskin at all. They felt just like the single ply non-exo maxxis to me when I picked them up.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have had better luck with the Super Gravity Schwalbe tires. I have had a couple HDs, and FAs with the Snake Skin and I kept cutting the tire in the center of the tread. I live in NM with plenty of chunk and often travel to PHX, and Moab to get more chunk. The best Schwalbe I have had yet was a Trailstar HD Super Gravity (not counting the UST FA.) That tire lasted about 5 months and was awesome up until the end when it started shedding side knobs. It was mounted as a rear and I never really noticed the weight of it on my Chilcotin.

That said I just picked up a Magic Mary for the front and opted for the Snake Skin. The tire casing seems a lot burlier than the previous SS clad tires and so far (two weeks) has been problem free. I think Snake Skin is fine for the front, but I'm not sure I will try it again for the rear.

I really wish they would make the FA with SG casing, something about that tire just works great for where I ride.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, I was wondering that too calhoun about the SS being a bit more burlier than previous years. Did that magic mary SS feel close to that SG HD?
That's the tire I am looking at from schwalbe. I ran a muddy mary on my dh bike once and it was awesome besides the heft. So figured the Magic mary's would be awesome on my pedal bike.

thanks for the info btw

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hasn't the Snakeskin changed from last year to this, become stronger? Is Snakeskin supposed to be the equivalent of Maxxis EXO or is the Supergravity?

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I have SS front and rear on my bike (HD/Rock Razor). Never had any issues on the front. Had issues in the rear piercing the casings early on, but once I upped my pressure by a few PSI the casing problems went away. Figured out that I was bottoming the tire on the rim similar to a snakebite on a tube.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was wondering that too calhoun about the SS being a bit more burlier than previous years. Did that magic mary SS feel close to that SG HD?
That's the tire I am looking at from schwalbe. I ran a muddy mary on my dh bike once and it was awesome besides the heft. So figured the Magic mary's would be awesome on my pedal bike.

thanks for the info btw
The casing on the SG HD is definitely burlier. But I was surprised how stiff the sidewalls are on the Snakeskin Magic Mary.

Are you thinking front and rear or just front?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have SS front and rear on my bike (HD/Rock Razor). Never had any issues on the front. Had issues in the rear piercing the casings early on, but once I upped my pressure by a few PSI the casing problems went away. Figured out that I was bottoming the tire on the rim similar to a snakebite on a tube.
So far what is your impression of the Rock Razor? What were you riding previously and how does it compare?

I was very close to buying a Rock Razor but opted for the TR DHR2, it is alright, but not everything I was looking for.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The casing on the SG HD is definitely burlier. But I was surprised how stiff the sidewalls are on the Snakeskin Magic Mary.

Are you thinking front and rear or just front?
Just ordered my tires, went all out and rocking SS front and back in trailstar. Wish they made vertstar in SS.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Love the Razor for the rear in my terrain which is Socal loose over hard and rocks. Just a tremendous amount of grip. I have run Ardents Trail Kings and Mountain Kings recently. This is my new go to since it is also really quick rolling as well.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Love the Razor for the rear in my terrain which is Socal loose over hard and rocks. Just a tremendous amount of grip. I have run Ardents Trail Kings and Mountain Kings recently. This is my new go to since it is also really quick rolling as well.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I may have to give that RR a try, your terrain sounds just like our foothills. I was worried that loose over hard would have no traction so that is good to hear, thanks for the beta.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just received a RR Super Gravity and the casing is beefy as hell! I am going to throw it on tonight and see what it is like in the next day or two. I am coming off a Maxxis HR2 3C so I will post back a comparison.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
I may have to give that RR a try, your terrain sounds just like our foothills. I was worried that loose over hard would have no traction so that is good to hear, thanks for the beta.
+1 - loose over hard and I figured it would suffer on ledges and braking. I'm happy right now with my TK 2.2 (finally happy with it, took a while to dial in the pressure). Keep us posted on impressions!

·
J:
5,128 Posts
Think my Muddy Mary was FR casing not sure it was snakeskin or not.. that was night and day better than the hd snakeskin

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have run sg hans dampf on the front for over a year and is superb. Just switched to sg rock razor on the rear from ss racing ralph 4 cross because they don't make it any more and the width and weight (from 2.25 to 2.35 and + 500gm) are noticeable but so is the extra grip, I can run the rear under 30psi now with no issues. The best thing for me about the sg is the sidewalls are so stiff that they just blow straight up tubeless with a track pump where I've always needed a compressor on my rims (easton haven alloy 23mm internal width ust) with ss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just ordered my tires, went all out and rocking SS front and back in trailstar. Wish they made vertstar in SS.
Could you give some feedback? Do you use it tubeless, what pressure? I've got Flow Ex rims and I think about tubeless setup. It seems that Super Gravity is too havy for enduro bike (half kilo compared with two snakeskins tires) On the other hand I'm told that tubeless setup needs strong sidewalls.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Great to hear the positive feedback on the HD SG TS. I just ordered one for the back to go with a brand new HD EVO TS on the front. I need a stiff sidewall to fight off squirm as i'm going tubeless and running sick low pressure sub 20 psi. No rocks on my trail, just roots and black dirt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts