Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the Sept 04 issue of MBAction and they have a great comparison of tires. Well, the one I use for both of my rides is the Hutchinson Python Airlights (2.0). The magazine recommends running them in the opposite direction from what is recommended on the tire to get better traction and cornering? Do any of you run these tires like that? I have been using them for 8 months and I really like them as is. But, if I can get better performance with just changing the tire direction, then I will. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Moo Shoo Pork said:
I just picked up the Sept 04 issue of MBAction and they have a great comparison of tires. Well, the one I use for both of my rides is the Hutchinson Python Airlights (2.0). The magazine recommends running them in the opposite direction from what is recommended on the tire to get better traction and cornering? Do any of you run these tires like that? I have been using them for 8 months and I really like them as is. But, if I can get better performance with just changing the tire direction, then I will. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Yup, some riders like them better in the "opposite" direction. Best way to know if it works for you is to turm them around and try it.
 

·
Trail rider and racer
Joined
·
4,691 Posts
shiggy©®™ said:
Yup, some riders like them better in the "opposite" direction. Best way to know if it works for you is to turm them around and try it.
I have found running in opposite direction with the rear in the normal direction that they perform a lot better. Have been using them that way for close to a year now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I've been riding the front backwards for 3 years but didn't

see any reason to reverse the rear. The little centre knobs have a flat and a tapered side so for the front, reversing it gives a little more bite when you brake, and I think rolls faster. The back uses that bite to get traction. Forces are reversed from front to back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trevor! said:
I have found running in opposite direction with the rear in the normal direction that they perform a lot better. Have been using them that way for close to a year now.
Thanks for replies. So Trevor and Ol-crank, both of you run the front opposite and keep rear the same? Wouldn't running the rear the opposite direction also make tires roll faster? Would it sacrifice grip if rear were opposite? I'll also take Shiggys advice and try it.
 

·
Trail rider and racer
Joined
·
4,691 Posts
Moo Shoo Pork said:
Thanks for replies. So Trevor and Ol-crank, both of you run the front opposite and keep rear the same? Wouldn't running the rear the opposite direction also make tires roll faster? Would it sacrifice grip if rear were opposite? I'll also take Shiggys advice and try it.
The rational for running the front in the opposite direction to what is intended by the designers is that the tyre is more directional. The grip is much much better. I think running the reverse the same as the front would not have such a positive effect (IMHO).

I suppose the trick is to just play around and see what results you have.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top