Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my woman's grad school buddies wanted me to "take a look at his bike to tell him what it needed to be made rideable" and this is what showed up:

He wants to lower the saddle and put flats on it so he can ride it around the neighborhood w/ his kid. I figured it may be worth enough that he could sell it off--at least the frame--and get something more suitable for his needs. It measured 61 on the seat tube and is a nice looking frame other than that purple--not a fan of purple bikes really.

I couldn't find a serial number on it either. The fork looks to be color matched (painted carbon) to the frame and probably was added a few years after the frame was built.

Anyone know anything about this thing such as approximate year or even current value?

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Holy Cow - those Slim Chances are pretty highly coveted methinks. Tell him that if it doesn't fit, or he doesn't plan on using it as intended to put it up for sale/trade/whatever over at the Serotta Forum's classifieds.

Or over at Fat Cogs - probably even better.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
That looks to me to be one of the bikes made in NY after Chris and Wendel left Somerville.

It's a great bike, though. I wouldn't know how much it's worth. It will hopefully be ridden a whole lot more. It barely looks broken in.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
don't the Saratoga made fats have a different sticker at the bottom of the seat tube?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice bike and just my size too!!!! I used to have a Fat Chance Kicker MTB many moons ago painted a similar color. That was my first high end bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That is not a Slim Chance, it is a Chris Chance road. A much later model. The seat tube decal looks like the 'Don't Tread on Me' decal which doesn't seem to correlate with this model, but I am no expert. It looks like it has Shimano dropouts. The very earliest Slims had GP Wilson dropouts, I think later they had Columbus drops.
And...is that a carbon fork...color matched??? I'd bet this bike was restored/repainted with a mish mash of available decals. Maybe a Serotta built model. What is the serial number? Jay, can I come by & see it? GT

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GAAP said:
That is not a Slim Chance, it is a Chris Chance road. A much later model. The seat tube decal looks like the 'Don't Tread on Me' decal which doesn't seem to correlate with this model, but I am no expert. It looks like it has Shimano dropouts. The very earliest Slims had GP Wilson dropouts, I think later they had Columbus drops.
And...is that a carbon fork...color matched??? I'd bet this bike was restored/repainted with a mish mash of available decals. Maybe a Serotta built model. What is the serial number? Jay, can I come by & see it? GT
Glen, the dude put some platforms on it and is riding it around his neighborhood w/ his kid. It's being used a neighborhood jalopy.

You can swing by though if you'd like--bike isn't here though.

I'm planning on meeting you guys for pints soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts