Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
I had some photos saved somewhere, but Jeff Jones was doing some creative work years ago to lighten EBB's. He went as far as machining clean through the center portion of the EBB.
Nice job, keep going.

I just installed my PW EBB in my Zion. It has more throw than the stock version, and allows me to get a 32X18 without a half-link..

·
Registered
590 Posts
Someone did extensive machining on a Rig EBB a while back. I searched through about 8 pages with no luck though.
Anyone else remember that?

Fun lathe work there PVD!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Your contact surfaces between the eBB and shell are smaller, which might reduce the chance of creaking (less rocking from typical shell distortions) - nice job. Did you need to make an Arbor? Could you not had used a 4-jaw chuck?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
itsdoable said:
Your contact surfaces between the eBB and shell are smaller, which might reduce the chance of creaking...
I'm figuring that since the cam ribs are in about the same width as the bearings of a typical square taper bb, that things will work fine. time will tell. I plan on modifiying the frame to reduce the shell width to match the EBB.

itsdoable said:
]Did you need to make an Arbor? Could you not had used a 4-jaw chuck?
I could have, but i figured that spending a little more time making the arbor will allow me to do this same modification to many ebb's quickly without too much hassle.

here is a pic of the stock rig ebb:

it weighs over 300 grams. a bit more of a challenge to machine down. more mill work. totally lame design.

any pictures of the modified rig ebb people keep talking about?

also: I will be adding to this other page within the next week:
https://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=EBB_Frame_Shell_Modification

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
nice work!

i gess this is the best place to bring this up- so, as many have a creaking EBB issue, what about drilling, tapping, and inseting something like a Zerk fitting to allow grease injection into the EBB's many voids. for clarification, this would obviously work better on a Bushnell style with the lightning holes drilled perpendicular to the axis of the bottom bracket. any oppinions? heck, would a zerk fitting tapped into the frame make more sense?

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Apples and Oranges?

shiggy said:
Good luck doing that to the Rig's internal expanding EBB insert.
I like your arbor tool (I mean I really like purposeful tools), but how are you going to use it on a split quill style insert?

Brad

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
aka brad said:
I like your arbor tool...,but how are you going to use it on a split quill style insert?
It will mostly be used to hold the cam on the indexer at the mill. A little bit of lathe work. the milling work that others have done is a bit basic. by using the arbor, i can get pretty fancy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.