Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Whatever the concensus on your general attitude, the finished product is pretty nice. I may go a bit overbudget after purchasing a CNC machine or lathe though.

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
el-cid said:
...the finished product is pretty nice. I may go a bit overbudget after purchasing a CNC machine or lathe though.
it does look really nice and durable
let us know when you start making them for sale :thumbsup:
seriously

·
Same old DAWG
97 Posts
Damn....why did I purchase that STUPID STYLO 32 with a BASH GUARD??? If only you had come along a little sooner!!! You are so awesome with that never ending knowledge!! Oh well, I can always beat it with a hammer or something and maybe folks wont think I'm a poser...till they ride with me!!

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
That's a cute chainguide. All these posts by pvd are like the scramblings of a semi-retarded child, trying so hard to gain approval of his parents with his semi-retarded crayon drawings. Bashing a bashguard in the context of a chain retention device? That's brilliant. It's like saying, "brake levers are good because seatposts are stupid!"

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
What're you gonna price it at?? There's competition...

OK, I'll play. (FYI: Pete's got a machine shop at his disposal.)

Pete's Idea:

Now, both Rohloff and DMR already make a similar device, both in the range of $35-$60, complete, albeit they're noisy as all heck. MRP's prototype model they demo'd this past season is in the works, since this style system is currently the hot ticket for Kona's bikes.

Also, what about the different seat tube diameters out there??

~I'd be interested in trying out one for the Surly, so I can try running run gears out back, instead of having to yank my driveside crankarm cup to mount the MRP System 2 I have.

**How are you addressing the differing arcs of the different sized chainrings out there?? With the slotted design of the Truvativ back plate, you can change the angle of the upper plate system, in which the DMR system pictured below allows for.

Attachments

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
Rohloff is more similar to PVD's design than the DMR in that there's only one mount
PVD's could be flipped so that the box hangs down instead of hiding the mount
on some bikes the shock mount can be in the way and only leave clearance to be attached this way
also the truvativ box protects the chain in all directions, up and down, while the Rohloff leaves more room for play

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
It's like saying, "brake levers are good because seatposts are stupid!"
Nah, it's more like saying you should only ride a fixie if it is equipped with a rear brake.

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
umbertom said:
Rohloff is more similar to PVD's design than the DMR in that there's only one mount
PVD's could be flipped so that the box hangs down instead of hiding the mount
on some bikes the shock mount can be in the way and only leave clearance to be attached this way
also the truvativ box protects the chain in all directions, up and down, while the Rohloff leaves more room for play
OK, sorry about the detour on guide system tech...

DMR went the route of the double clamp due to the tendancy of the guide to occasionally rotate. Not necessarily an overall issue in this case, but novel nonetheless. Personally I'm not too hot with the DMR system, too many issues, and it seems Rohloff never let their idea for a better upper keeper come to fruition. Even though Tyler Klassen's been rolling their hub on his bikes for a couple of years. As far as the standard Rohloff guide, it's a pain to adjust for chainline with. Paul's gadget allows for that, since it uses the factory mount back-plate for the Truvativ upper. Pretty worthy of at least a potential/partial S.O.P.W.A.M.T.O.S. .

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Let me play!!

obionespeedonly said:
OK, I'll play.
Now, both Rohloff and DMR already make a similar device, both in the range of $35-$60, complete, albeit they're noisy as all heck. MRP's prototype model they demo'd this past season is in the works, since this style system is currently the hot ticket for Kona's bikes.

Also, what about the different seat tube diameters out there??

~I'd be interested in trying out one for the Surly, so I can try running run gears out back, instead of having to yank my driveside crankarm cup to mount the MRP System 2 I have.

**How are you addressing the differing arcs of the different sized chainrings out there?? With the slotted design of the Truvativ back plate, you can change the angle of the upper plate system, in which the DMR system pictured below allows for.
I have a great idea here. I got the idea from the DMR/ Rohloff devices. I've seen something like that before. Oh yeah, a front derailleur. It's what they've been using for about 100 years to keep the chain on the front chainring. Here's one from Shimano..

http://www.cambriabike.com/Shopexd.asp?id=8584

It's completely adjustable, weighs 128gm and only costs $25.

Do I win?

1G1G, Brad

Attachments

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
aka brad said:
I have a great idea here. I got the idea fro the DMR/ Rohloff devices. I've seen something like that before. Oh yeah, a front derailleur. It's what they've been using for about 100 years to keep the chain on the front chainring. Here's one from Shimano..

http://www.cambriabike.com/Shopexd.asp?id=8584

It's completely adjustable, weighs 128gm and only costs $25.

Do I win?

1G1G, Brad
Thanks Brad, I forgot that one! ;) So if I use a take-off '98 Deore LX-TP/TS that was for free, I beat you then!! Free's cheap, right!! Hold it though, what about sticking in a 1" section of Rock Shox elastomer in the front, after drilling through it, and securing it via zip tie! Old-School stylee baby!!

I still wanna see where he goes with this, and definitely wanna try it out myself to see how well it works.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts