Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought a bigger truck I can't fit it in the garage. It now has to sit in the driveway. :cryin: But the good thing is the bikes are making it out of the basement and into the garage. :thumbsup
Now it's time to build a storage rack. I'm planning on building this one. Make your own Bike Rack
But wondering if any of you have ever build/used one like it. My biggest concern is stability, which I think it should be fine there. Then what spacing should I use for the wheels? It says use a .25" gap in the wheel wells for a 3" tire. I assume that will be good for a standard MTB tire, most of mine are right in the 1.9 - 2.2 range. But what about a road bike? Just wonder if you butt the fitting against each other if it will be small enough to hold a road bike without it leaning too much. Any ideas or comments?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm thinking of maybe using 3/4" pvc for road bike rack to cut down the wheel slot and 1" for mtb

·
Registered
804 Posts
I used those guidelines to build a two bike carrier for the back of my truck.
Went with the eighth-inch gap spacing. The 2.4 Trail King and Mountain King fit nicely, as does a 2.35 Nevegal. Anything narrower might be loose.
For a road tire, i think cutting down the fittings might get it narrow enough. Try fitting before gluing, obviously.
Seems sturdy enough.
If you intend to use it for the garage, you may want to secure it in place somehow. Though I suppose you could just put a foot on it when you pull a bike out.
Painted it with black Rust-Oleum "textured" paint for plastics. Looks pretty good, and hasn't rubbed off from the tires going in and out two or three times a week for the past seven months.

Edit: 8" rotors clear, too.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
By time you go through all that hassle and time... you're better off just buying one.

Wait for a sale or get one off Craigslist.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to hanging them with hooks on the wall. That's how some of them are in the basement right now, along with leaning against walls, pool table, work bench, etc... But with the window on the side of the garage that I have to store the bikes in prevents me from putting all our bikes on it. Might hang a few and use that rack for the rest. It wouldn't take much time or money to build it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i built that one and most mtb tires fit fine without using the spacing. just put the connectors touching and you will be fine. absolutely make sure you use glue though. i didnt at first and the weight of the bike made it come apart. now that i have glue on its been fine ever since.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
But what about a road bike? Just wonder if you butt the fitting against each other if it will be small enough to hold a road bike without it leaning too much. Any ideas or comments?
That's the one I made as well, using their spacing. A road bike will lean even if you butt the connectors together, but just barely.
It's a cool design, especially since it fits in the back of a truck (Tacoma in my case) and holds three bikes.
I'd recommend piecing it together without glue, making sure all the connectors are fully seated. You can always trim the connectors for a narrower gap.
Then glue.

But...Dion is right that it's a pricey and time consuming garage setup when wall hooks might work. If you plan on using it in the truck though, go for it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm limited on wall space. And the foot print for this type of rack really wouldn't be much bigger. But After looking at the garage I might be able to make use of hanging some of them. Between Me, my wife & kid, We have 10 bikes that I need to store. Of course I have 2 repair stands that will double as bike storage and then there is usually at least 1 on a trainer. But were getting a new addition to the family in December so I see more bikes in the future ;)

·
Registered
804 Posts
By time you go through all that hassle and time... you're better off just buying one.

Wait for a sale or get one off Craigslist.
From leaving my house to get the PVC, to completed build was about two hours.
Not counting drying time for the paint.

Spent $28

Nice project for a Saturday morning.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
I bought a 6 foot length of 1/2 inch threaded pipe, 2 x 1.5 foot lengths, 2 floor bases, and 2 elbows, and built a hanging rack (hang by the saddle horn) I screwed to a beam in the garage. I have 4 MTBs and 2 road bikes hanging from it and could slot in another couple if I tried. Cost about $30. Took longer to drive back and forth to home depot than it did to build and install.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,991 Posts
I built one of those several years ago for my 98 Ford Ranger. I sold the truck, but kept the rack...it now does duty for storage in the garage. I built it without any mods for wider tires. My Conti Mtn King 2.4's fit in there, but very tightly. I'd have done well to make one slot wider for big tires.

I don't know yet about stability for road tires, but I'll find out soon enough. I'm building up a road commuter right now and it'll probably be finished in a few weeks.

But like others have said, the rack was cheap and simple to build. Painting took a little longer. I primed mine, gave it a black paint job, and then put a gloss clear coat over it. Paint job has been solid since I built mine in 04-ish. It has rubbed in a few places, though, which is really to be expected when you're cramming 2.4" tires into the narrow slot.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
It helps, you can get the bikes far enough off the ground that you park other bikes under them or store other stuff, or maybe even part a short car. But if you have to consider how high you can lift a bike up when you're setting the bar height.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Built it over the weekend and it turned out nice. Simple to build and it didn't take long. I still need to paint it but as of now I am pleased. And the road bikes fit in it decent but does lean and isn't a stable in it but if I build another for the road bikes then I'll probably shorten up the wheel slot by either using 3/4" pvc or cutting the tees down a bit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts