Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was out there today. I entered on 107th Drive around 2:00, I live just down the street from there. There were a couple aide cars and 4 or 5 Sheriff patrol cars parked at the trail head and no people around so I knew something bad happened. I didn't get very far down Southern Traverse before the Sheriff stopped me.

He told me there was a fatality but he couldn't remember the name of the trail. More than that I don't know. I feel bad for him and his family. Rest in Peace.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like it was someone from here in Duvall. Won't throw out the name until we're sure. Either way. Sad news all around. Unfortunately, I know first hand what everyone involved went through. I'm sure they did everything they could. good reminder to gut check how trivial some of the things we argue about on here can be...

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have one. Not confirmed yet. Pretty sure though. I assume Woodway will be talking to the county soon about it given our conversation and discussions for more trail opportunities coming up.

·
Moist and Delicious
555 Posts
The rider and cause of death have been ID'd in the same paper as the article above.

A sad day, for sure.
Not that we need anything salacious here, but it'd be nice to know the whole story. Was he riding over his capabilities? Was he going too fast? Did he just fall off a ladder? Etc.

RIP, sir. I didn't know you, but I am saddened by your death.

·
I didn't do it
9,466 Posts
I'm just starting to get up there in the years now and so when I hear about older folks getting severely injured or even dying I would like to know how and why. Is it a heart condition, a crash, or something else?

*edited*

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with you. However, your post does not shed any light on what happened to this gentleman. Mountain biking is a lethal sport. I think there are folks who are maybe unaware of just how lethal it can be. Myself included. I have met personally with a man who broke his neck at paradise valley while riding an elevated structure. Most folks would think little of riding the structure that he fell from.

Folks need to understand just how lethal this sport is. You would like to know why. The answer to your question is that traveling quickly in close proximity to the ground, rocks and trees can be lethal. If you don't understand that then don't do it,

·
Registered
632 Posts
I agree with you. However, your post does not shed any light on what happened to this gentleman.
His post was not intended to shed light on how he passed. he shared an updated article that ID'd the rider who passed.

Yes Mnt biking has it's dangers, I don't think I would go as far as calling it "lethal". If we call Mnt biking lethal, i would argue pretty much everything we do in life is lethal.

I would also add XC riding is pretty darn safe, you can increase the danger by adding speed and or features like jumps, drops, step ups, so on. I would say I myself am way more prone to injury when I ride Whistler than say somewhere like PV.

Late last season a guy from Idaho (I think) passed away up at North Shore by falling off a feature and hitting his head, from what i heard, it was a very slow speed accident.

Any death doing a activity you love would really suck, but I think most will agree we are willing to take the risk.

I can think of way worse ways to perish. If I had to chose, I would do it while doing something I love. Including test flying a airplanes (my job)

Next time we ride, lets ride in memory of Steve.

·
Moist and Delicious
555 Posts
Once, while visiting a friend in the hospital, I saw that he was sharing a room with another gentleman who had a halo on. Turns out he fell off a very small ladder on Blue Bucket, when the trail was "still rideable." That said, I rode it the very next day, just to check it out. I can see how he was hurt.... you stop there, you crash. As Jimba said, the sport is inherently dangerous, but lethal? No. You can die, yes. I can die typing this paragraph too. It's a little kneejerk.

All this said, I don't see why discussing his death or "how he died" isn't in good taste. I'm not picking on Scott or anyone else here, but I am curious what exactly happened. I wouldn't be surprised if he simply had a heart attack and fell, injuring himself further. Again, it's not salacious. In a way, those who ride the area deserve to know to protect the area we love from those that would set any crash as a reason to ban bikers from this trail and others. News is good, as long as it doesn't step into gossip. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From the plethora of FB posts on my wife's friends feed, he was well loved and known in the valley. Never rode with him nor even know he was a biker though.

I do know now how/where it happened and for perceived "taste" and/or "liability" concerns, PM me if anyone just has to know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.