Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that a bad idea. I broke my chain a few weeks ago but fixed it. Working fine. I believe it's a SRAM 99 (Its the top chain before 991). I bought the 991 but haven't put it on.

I have a 42 mile marathon this saturday and the last thing I want is a broken chain. The new chain will have zero miles on it so I'm wondering if that is a bad idea right before a race.

Thanks.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Assuming the rest of the drivetrain was OK (and I planned to race) ... I'd like to do some sort of a real ride on the new chain, before the race.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The chain and cassette are not that old. I even think early this year. I'm just nervous since the chain snapped once. I've put 75 miles on the chain since so maybe it's fine and I just need to get over it. I'll just stash some of SRAM quick link things in case it breaks again.

Thanks for input.

·
I meant to do that
133 Posts
Chains are one of those things. Don't forget your chain tool and some actual real links as well.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
i did that once; put a sram pc-59 on the day befor a race. no ride or anything beforhand, it got a trial by fire and held up just fine. i don't think it's anything to worry about. i'm sure the pro racers in the tour de france do it all the time. i mean really, the thing is new! what's it going to do, explode? :D :p

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Cyco-Dude said:
i mean really, the thing is new! what's it going to do, explode? :D :p
It could potentially skip like crazy if the cassette/chainrings are worn significantly.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
rkj__ said:
It could potentially skip like crazy if the cassette/chainrings are worn significantly.
true, but if that's the case you would replace the cassette and rings as well. guppie's drivetrain is not that worth so this does not apply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts