Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a problem, just and observation that I should have done it sooner, which is always the case when I procrastinate on maintenance.

My stock alfine 8 shifter has been degrading. Some of the middle, down shifts don't always catch: 5 to 4, 4 to 3 are the biggest culprits, I think. The shift lever feels loose, and cursory inspection of my adjustment options don't show me an easy way to tighten it up. Sometimes pushing the lever down and in at the same time allows it to catch. Sometimes a quick, double-shift while keeping the hub loaded works. Neither consistent and neither ideal, but I'm lazy, and even though a new shifter has been in a box in the closet for months, I've been making do.

Finally put my replacement shifter on last night, and today it's a marvel that every gear shifts confidently into place. It just confirms that I'm an idiot for putting it off for so long. I can't be sure, but it looks like it's possible that the new shifter is a slight redesign from the five-year-old model it replaced. Maybe it's just newer, with a bright orange shift indicator instead of a faded one, no cracks in the plastic, no tape over the cracks... Anyhow, looks and feels great.

If your shifter ain't shiftin, go ahead and replace it. I hadn't realized how aggravating it had become until I got a working one in its place.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts