Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw a video on lowers service, Fox fork (Syd fixes bikes). They finished it up by putting some fluid in through the air valve. I've never seen nor heard of doing this before (and I've watched a lot of videos on the subject). Although I've since seen on the fox charts a fluid spec for the "upper air chamber" (something like that) which I hadn't noticed before. Anyone know about this? What's the deal?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Weird. You can just pour it in through the top cap opening before you install it. The factory techs teach you to not even measure it, but take the whole piston--after greasing--and just dip it in Gold, then assemble as normal.

Oil will migrate over time, but just adding it during a lower service means that you are ultimately reducing your negative spring volume. If the spring needs service, it needs service--and just adding more lube isn't going to fix anything 'long' term.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yeah don't do that. I saw that video when it came out and told them they had got the model years confused and were using the oil volumes for a 2014 fork. They were working on a 2015/16 NA2 style which doesn't use much oil in the chamber. Guess they didn't change it then, can't lose all those views!

If you put that much oil in to and evol/NA2 air spring it will eventually migrate to the neg chamber and cause the fork to suck down really badly. I don't use any oil at all but if you were to its literally a couple of drops thats needed....

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
Any oil in your air spring will just migrate to the lowest point. In a fork that's your negative chamber, in a rear shock that's either your negative chamber or your air valve depending on shock orientation. Great for filling up your pumps with oil.

I don't do it. I use grease because it stays where you need it.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The Fox instructions for NA2/Float call for 3ml of Gold 20W in the air spring. I add it to the positive side when I have the top cap off.
The video he talks about shows them adding 15ml of oil, or the volume for an older model fork. In the fork they are doing in the video its really really bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts