Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you have to flatten your tyres before putting your bike on a plane, but do you have to do anything to the front forks or rear shock?

Cheers, Gerray

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Gerray said:
I know you have to flatten your tyres before putting your bike on a plane, but do you have to do anything to the front forks or rear shock?

Cheers, Gerray
You need to put it inside a box. You will likely have to remove your wheels, pull your handlebars off, pull your shock off and break your bike down completely.

·
Banned
218 Posts
Gerray said:

Cheers, Gerray
You don't need to let the air out of your tires (let alone your tyres) or let the air out of your front fork or rear shock.

The cargo compartments are pressurized, just like the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
An alternative to taking the bike on the plane is to have it shipped via UPS or FEDEX. If you get the bike into a small enough box and can allow a few days for shipping this might be a less costly alternative (depending on the airline).

Your LBS certainly has bike boxes from receiving new bikes (usually for free). They might even help packing the bike for a small fee. Trick is to ship it to a LBS at the target destination. Again, a phone call clarifies what they would charge for receiving, reassembly and adjustments.

But only go that route if you still have time to research and your airline does charge a hefty fee for checking the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.