Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deploying to Iraq soon and was wondering something. I'd like to order a bike from Walmart and have it sent over there, but I've never put one together. Are there pretty good instructions? How many different tools do you need?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
27 Posts
I strongly suggest you read the sticky about department store bikes. I bought an Iron Horse Warrior for $500, I suggest you go to this price range for a first mountain bike unless you are really low on cash. I bought the bike on the internet, it came 90% assembled, was fairly easy to put together even though it was the first time I did any wrenching on a bike. Took me a couple hours, but an experienced person could do that in less than half an hour, I am sure.

Good luck on your deployment, and stay safe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AFViper said:
I strongly suggest you read the sticky about department store bikes. I bought an Iron Horse Warrior for $500, I suggest you go to this price range for a first mountain bike unless you are really low on cash. I bought the bike on the internet, it came 90% assembled, was fairly easy to put together even though it was the first time I did any wrenching on a bike. Took me a couple hours, but an experienced person could do that in less than half an hour, I am sure.

Good luck on your deployment, and stay safe.
I read the sticky about department store bikes. I currently ride a department store bike and it seems to be doing fine (as a starter until I get back from Iraq). While I'm in Iraq, I plan on ordering the department store bike because I'm gonna leave it there. I didn't specify that in the message (maybe I should've) but I'm not spending $500 on a bike that I'm gonna leave in country because it would be a huge deal bringing it back.

Later.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
raiderbill70 said:
I read the sticky about department store bikes. I currently ride a department store bike and it seems to be doing fine (as a starter until I get back from Iraq). While I'm in Iraq, I plan on ordering the department store bike because I'm gonna leave it there. I didn't specify that in the message (maybe I should've) but I'm not spending $500 on a bike that I'm gonna leave in country because it would be a huge deal bringing it back.
Hey if it's what you want, do it. I wouldn't want to ship my bike to Iraq, even if it was comming back.

Department store bikes are simple to put together. They come 90% assembled. You just need to mount the wheels, pedals, and handlebar. And you'll have to adjust the brakes and shifters. They come assembled but they won't be adjusted right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.